Worried about pregnant platy.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
I don't know much about platies but to answer your other questions:
Clamped fins means the fins are flattened and sometimes twisted. Sick fish normally have this.
To check the water parameters for nitrates, nitrites, or ammonia get a box of test strips. Liquid tests are more accurate though. The ammonia and nitrates and nitrites can definitely play into the condition of any sick fish.

This is what they Suggested but the kids was younger and he didn't really seem to understand what I was saying so what do you think.
If you donā€™t Know your water parameters then your tank probably isnā€™t cycled. Get some Seachem Prime and do 50% water changes using the Prime. You need to get an API freshwater test kit too in order to get your tank cycled. Please read on ā€œ fish In Cyclingā€ and do as instructed. If your tank isnā€™t cycled then your fish are in toxic water. The Prime will not remove the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates but it will make it non toxic to protect the fish. You will need to do the water changes daily along with the Prime until cycled. I know this is confusing but once you read in the nitrogen cycle it will start making sense. I would focus too n getting the tank cycled and then we can cure parasites.

If you donā€™t Know your water parameters then your tank probably isnā€™t cycled. Get some Seachem Prime and do 50% water changes using the Prime. You need to get an API freshwater test kit too in order to get your tank cycled. Please read on ā€œ fish In Cyclingā€ and do as instructed. If your tank isnā€™t cycled then your fish are in toxic water. The Prime will not remove the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates but it will make it non toxic to protect the fish. You will need to do the water changes daily along with the Prime until cycled. I know this is confusing but once you read in the nitrogen cycle it will start making sense. I would focus too n getting the tank cycled and then we can cure parasites.
Ok so I just tested both tanks the 5 gallon one had a No3 of 40 and a No2 of 1 and a PH of 7.5 and the 20 gallon tank had a No3 of 80 and a No2 of 0.5 and a PH of 7.5 . And the 20 gallon tank I had running for like 3 weeks before I put any fish in and the 5 gallon has been running for about 2 weeks is that not enough time to cycle it?

No3 is nitrate. Nitrate is harmless in small amounts but it is in large amounts now.
No2 is nitrites. They are harmful even in small amounts.

Do a 50% water change. That will lower the nitrites and nitrates. Do you use a beneficial bacteria supplement?

No3 is nitrate. Nitrate is harmless in small amounts but it is in large amounts now.
No2 is nitrites. They are harmful even in small amounts.

Do a 50% water change. That will lower the nitrites and nitrates. Do you use a beneficial bacteria supplement?
I have the tetra safe start. Should I put that in?

I have the tetra safe start. Should I put that in?
And I did a 50% water change on the 20 like 2 days ago because that was the original tank that they came in. But it was super Dirty should I do it again?

Yes you should since the nitrates are so high. If you have a siphon make sure to clean the gravel too.

You can use the tetra safe start because it has beneficial bacteria in it. I always put beneficial bacteria in my tank after a water change. Make sure to read the directions on the bottle.

Yes you should since the nitrates are so high. If you have a siphon make sure to clean the gravel too.

You can use the tetra safe start because it has beneficial bacteria in it. I always put beneficial bacteria in my tank after a water change. Make sure to read the directions on the bottle.
Ok that is good. They absorb the nitrates too.
I really appreciate your help. I will do the 50% water change and then add the solution to the water. Should I then treat for the white poop or should I just wait and see what happens with the tank

20181026_140647.jpg

That's weird. Did you clean the gravel?

I don't have a lot of experience with cloudy tanks or platies but-
Should I then treat for the white poop or should I just wait and see what happens with the tank

You can but make sure to follow the directions closely. If your filter cartridge has carbon in it (these are the little black rocks in the middle of the filter fiber) you will have to take the carbon out. It will absorb all the medication.
They can easily be taken out depending on what cartridge you have.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back