Worm in tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

IndiaHawker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Saw a little worm/caterpillar thing in my tank, was only maybe 5mm long. Looked green but hard to tell, was going to get a photo but it disappeared. Anything to be worried about? Please and thanks!

I'd say to remove it immediately, and then take a picture to find out the species. Be on the lookout as there may be more.

Thanks for the response, couldn't find it again last night so couldn't remove it! However today, I found something that looks the same but bigger. Not sure if it's the same but grown significantly, or a different one. I managed to get a close up photo - it's not the easiest thing to make out, but as clear as I could get.

It's about 1cm long, a couple of mm thick, and in the photo, it appears to be kind of wrapped up in a bit of leaf or something, stuck to the glass. Here's the photo:

DSCF1408-min.JPG

Don't want to remove it unless it's doing harm - I hate harming any creature unnecessarily - but of course will remove if needs be. Wondering if this is what's been eating my plants and if there's a lot more of these than I've been able to spot - and if so, what's the best course of action? Please and thanks!

Okay I'm panicking now... found one more for definite - it looked like a bit of leaf stuck to the glass but went to investigate and upon moving it, it looks like a creature emerging from a piece of leaf. And on inspection, now I know I'm looking for these strange leaf-wrapped things, I've seen what could possibly be a few more. I could see and photograph this one more clearly - it looks almost like a hairy caterpillar? Or centipede type thing?

I read that if they're parasitic you won't see them on substrate or glass - but (presuming this is true) just because they're not parasitic, does that mean they're not harmful to my fish?? Like I said I really don't want to harm them unless I have to, but if I have to I will.

Here's a pic of the one I'm referring to in this post - you can see it emerging:

DSCF1417-min.JPG

Can't find anything about it, so I'd suggest you remove them as they may be harmful to plants and your fish. If you're so insistent on not harming them since you don't know if they're harmful put them in a pitcher or bowl of your aquarium water. Sorry, I can not be of more help I'll keep looking.

Thank you, no need to apologize, still helpful! I plan to do a water change tomorrow so if I haven't found out more by then I will remove them (or at least as many as I can find!) and put them into something with the old aquarium water in. I know I sound so soft but I hate the idea of killing them unless absolutely necessary - they look pretty interesting and I'd be happy to let them co-inhabit if possible - but I'm very wary of the fact that this could be a dangerous option for my fish so will always err on the safe side!

Thanks for the help and please do let me know if you find out more. I've been trying to research into this myself but not finding much info that's helped so far!

They are an insect larvae like a bloodworm (Chirominid midge). As to what species of insect is still to be known but they are not dragonfly or damselfly larvae because they don't live in leaves. Bloodworms are red and usually make their home out of mud and leaf litter and don't move about.

If your fish are smart they will eat the insect larvae :)

I wouldn't worry too much. Just monitor them and see what they turn into.

They are an insect larvae like a bloodworm (Chirominid midge). As to what species of insect is still to be known but they are not dragonfly or damselfly larvae because they don't live in leaves. Bloodworms are red and usually make their home out of mud and leaf litter and don't move about.

If your fish are smart they will eat the insect larvae :)

I wouldn't worry too much. Just monitor them and see what they turn into.

Interesting, thank you! I've bought frozen bloodworm before which were a dark red sort of colour IIRC, but I'm guessing this isn't specifically a bloodworm because of the green colour - however like you say maybe something similar? Wondering if my fish ate the tiny one I saw last night? Which doesn't bother me as at least that way it's not cruel and the natural cycle of life. Considering the size of the biggest one I've found - 1-2cm - do you think my fish will still eat it, as my largest fish is the bristlenose at about 3 inches, and second the bronze cory at about 3-4cm? And otherwise - do you know if they can co-inhabit without causing harm to the tank? Please and thanks!

Also I hope you don't mind me saying but your avatar is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen

I mean if they're edible for the fish I guess that could be helpful as possibly unintentionally breeding live food to be eaten at will, naturally? But not sure if it works that way and could do more harm than good?

if the biggest one is 1-2cm it will not be eaten by the fish in you tank. Quite often the size of the insect larvae is smaller than the actual case they carry around with them.

If the insect larvae breed in the tank, that is fine and if any fish eat them that is fine too. However, if the insect larvae get bigger than 2cm, I would take a few to an entomologist and find out exactly what they are, or check a few aquatic insect books. Most insect larvae are scavengers and will eat anything, and if they are big enough to catch a fish they could eat a fish. Having said all that, I think they are just a midge larvae of some sort and won't be an issue.

We had green mozzies around our place. They looked the same as the normal black biting mosquitoes but they were lime green and didn't bite. These might be the larval version of them. In which case the fish will love them :)

Thanks Colin!

https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com...ater-caterpillar-identification-please-64830/
https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/caterpillars-62937/

Found these links - this is definitely what it is! But still have no idea what species it is??

Will be removing them based on what I've read - pretty sure this is what's destroyed my plants in the last couple of weeks - but I'm thinking of keeping them separately and seeing what they turn into unless that's a really bad idea?

Please and thanks!

I would keep them just to see what they turn into. Just put them in a smaller container of tank water and have a few plants in there for them. Change the water each week using tank water and see what happens. Photograph and video them too, you never know if it's a new species :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back