Worm in fish tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
So I noticed a tiny white /clear wiggling worm when I was doing my water change today. It came out of the filter as I switched it back on once adding fresh water. By the time I came back with a net Iā€™m not sure where it had gone so I didnā€™t get a chance to remove. I havenā€™t rinsed my filter media at all since set up due to my tank cycle and and building up beneficial bacteria on this. Iā€™m wondering what this worm was and if it will be harmful? How can I make sure I donā€™t see this awful creature again? Iā€™m hoping the aquarium salt Iā€™m adding to the tank for a suspected protozoan infection will kill it. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
It could be detritus worm, planaria, or even hydra. I wouldn't get too stressed about it as most fish would eat it. However, I don't much like worms in the tank I didn't put there either!
As an aside, I have living plants in all my tanks so I'm not a fan of using salt. Are all your fish showing signs of ich and are you also raisng the water temperature.

It could be detritus worm, planaria, or even hydra. I wouldn't get too stressed about it as most fish would eat it. However, I don't much like worms in the tank I didn't put there either!
As an aside, I have living plants in all my tanks so I'm not a fan of using salt. Are all your fish showing signs of ich and are you also raisng the water temperature.

Many thanks for your response. Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one who isnā€™t a fan of them! My guppies are flashing (rubbing against plants and gravel) in the tank. I really didnā€™t want to add salt either but the comparison which would me to medicate is a lot worse. I also keep live plants and would never dream of keeping plastic ones. Iā€™ve not bought these long ago so Iā€™m guessing theyā€™ll need replacing soon now Iā€™ve added salt. However, I just want the fish to get better thatā€™s the main aim. Thank you for your help :)

I dunno if salt is the most effective remedy for flukes.
Food for thought: Flashing

I did suspect flukes to begin with however Iā€™ve heard itā€™s more common for it to be ich instead (white spot disease). Because Iā€™ve not seen any white spots I was hoping the salt would treat this before it gets to the next stage of it is white spot. I have suspected more of a protozoan infection than anything else though. I could be wrong. Many thanks.

Last edited:
I have actually removed my plants on a few occasions and placed them in a large glass bowl with tank water. I had to do this once for 10 days and just drained the water and refilled with more tank water. My banana plant was the only plant that suffered but even it grew back.

I have actually removed my plants on a few occasions and placed them in a large glass bowl with tank water. I had to do this once for 10 days and just drained the water and refilled with more tank water. My banana plant was the only plant that suffered but even it grew back.

Many thanks for your reply. I was tempted to take all the live plants out but I didnā€™t want to take their natural habitat away from them. Guppies being the pests that they are too I am sure I would have had some stressed fish at the end of the week. I was worried for this reason. Thank you.

Most reactions

trending

Back