Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
20170315_104600.jpg
found this out fishing yesterday

Nice piece of wood.

What type of wood, do you know?

Planning to add to your aquarium?

Id so, the you will need to give it a REALLY good scrub all over and pour plenty of hot water over this to get rid of the critters in there.
(Some folks may say to boil this for a short period of time though its something have never done personally as it degrades the wood a bit quicker imho)

Agree. If this is a hardwood (oak, maple, beech are hardwoods) it should be safe, depending upon what it may have come into contact with of course, which none of us knows. I would soak it for a few weeks; drying it out completely and then re-soaking might be advisable, but that will take months. Since it came from water, it almost certain will host microscopic critters that can appear over days.

If this is softwood, like conifers (cedar, pine, spruce, etc) do not use it, it will be toxic.

Byron.

Yeah its got critters and algae, I do plan on soaking and bleaching it.

Yeah its got critters and algae, I do plan on soaking and bleaching it.

Do not use bleach, or any similar substance. This soaks into the wood, and it can leech out months from now. That is the problem with wood, why we must be careful.

Well I took the tape out and measured it, it's just a little big for my 55.....

I did take note of the measurement on the bottom of my boat so I can see what they will look like on the spot.

Toney...my biggest concern would be algae especially clado. But once dried and prepped i would use it. Pressure washer? Turkey fryer?

As far as size...cut that bad boy lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I like it even better. Or maybe both.

That's a good idea. I've never thought to bring home wood from fishing trips, Lord knows I snag enough of it :p I might take my diving gear and look for nice pieces of wood when I go camping this summer. There's a few trout lakes that always have nice pieces of wood and I can safely say it should not come into contact with any odd chemicals as no boats with motors are allowed in them. Only problem is there's always huge snapping turtles... They've become quite good at snatching fish of the stringers.

That second piece needs a little scrubbing but I love the look of it.

Always collect my wood rock. It part of the fun lol

Heres a question, rather than boiling wood or if you don't have a pot big enough, how would baking it in an oven go at say 70c for an hour or two go?
In Australia,I would scrub the wood with a wire brush and stick it on the roof of my garage over summer, anything that can survive the Aussie sun beating down on a hot tin roof for a few weeks is welcome to live in my tank.

No idea...seems plausable. Ive seen guys use trash cans to boil lol. Dishwasher to clean lol. I dont always even boil it. Just depends what kind of wood and where I got it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back