Wood makes it cloudy

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Woke up to find the driftwood and plant combo made my poor betta's tank a milky disaster. I tested the water before doing a 50% change and his reading came back stable. No idea why the wood would do it, but now only the plant is in there tied sadly to a little rock ornament :(

His water has remained clear all day so I'm really thinking it was a sort of minor bacterial bloom? I did have that piece sitting in my main tank for a few weeks to make sure it was nice and waterlogged, maybe that had something to do with it :p

Do you know the type of wood? I had a fungus emerge from a piece of wood a couple of years back, and it turned the water cloudy and the fish showed signs of respiration difficulty. Fortunately I remove the wood and did a major water change, since it turned out that the particlar fungus was highly toxic. I have known others with fish losses due to this particular fungus. It appeared on the wood as a white slime.

Byron.

Do you know the type of wood? I had a fungus emerge from a piece of wood a couple of years back, and it turned the water cloudy and the fish showed signs of respiration difficulty. Fortunately I remove the wood and did a major water change, since it turned out that the particlar fungus was highly toxic. I have known others with fish losses due to this particular fungus. It appeared on the wood as a white slime.

Byron.
It's just a regular chunk I bought from the pet store, uncertain what kind. It's very dark though even when dry. The wood has gone through hell in back since I first bought it from boilings/soakings/drying out/water-logging and so on. It just made his water REALLY cloudy over night. The wood had no fungus or slime or anything, I've decided to keep it in my main tank for now so it stays waterlogged until I upgrade my betta to a ten gallon.

Some wood has sugars and starches that make the white film on newly submerged wood. Usually it is not an issue and goes away on its own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Back