Wood for discus tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Zante

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have the possibility of collecting as much wood as I want from a sweet chestnut grove that belongs to former neighbours. The trees are regularly trimmed and there are a few hectares of them, so plenty of choice.

I was thinking of this because as well as being plenty of shapes to choose from the wood would be loaded with tannins, so it would end up being a proper blackwater environment, and when the tannins in the wood in the display tank start thinning out, I can add pieces in the sump to keep "the tannins flowing".

The thing is, is sweet chestnut (Castanea sativa) wood any good for aquariums or is it one of the woods we have to avoid?

Should be fine as long as its not green. It is a hardwood. Will probably have alot of tanins. If you dont want then make sure you do good prep work. Although the discus will appreciate them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

You are very lucky to have that amount of wood at your disposal. Would you consider shipping any?

I think more people should get out and hunt for thier hardscape. Makes for stories and more pride in the tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

You are very lucky to have that amount of wood at your disposal. Would you consider shipping any?

I might take it into consideration once I've moved and settled, also considering these former neighbours also have over 100 hectares of mixed, but mainly oak woods, but expect hefty shipping costs from Italy ;)

True I forgot you are from italy. I'm sure shipping some wood in a big old cardboard box wouldn't be THAT expensive but who knows?? :)

I'm sure shipping some wood in a big old cardboard box wouldn't be THAT expensive but who knows??
Not only could it get expensive It could be illegal, Depends on your countries bio security laws.

Just check with your federal authorities before importing anything like that first.

I've spotted some wood in the creek behind my treestand.

True I forgot you are from italy. I'm sure shipping some wood in a big old cardboard box wouldn't be THAT expensive but who knows?? :)

I could try chucking it in the sea. It might reach you at some point :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back