Won't Attach To Wood

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Squidward

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a few pieces of Sumatra Wood in my tank.

When I set up the tank a few months ago I tied numerous plants of Anubias and Java Fern on to the wood using string.
Both types of plant have refused to attach to the wood.
The Anubias produced new roots that remained very short. Slowly but surely the leaves are deteriorating and some plants have died.
The Java fern has just refused to attach, but the leaves look otherwise ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Squidward

Lighting? Flow? Water change schedule? Do you add fertilisers/CO[sub]2[/sub]?

Lighting: Standard T5 (I think) that my tank came with. Replaced 2 months ago.

Water changes: 20% every week

Flow: Fluval 305 filter & airstone

CO2: No

Fertilisers: Esha Pro Phyl Plant fertiliser & nutrients as directed once a week

I was advised by the online supplier that I got the plants from that they would be ok for what I wanted them for. IE a low tech non-CO2 setup.

And the size of the fishtank?

It is very odd that you should be having problems with Anubias.. I have seen both take as long as a year to attach (without being moved in any way) so I don't think that is much of an issue.. but the Anubias's leaves deteriorating, that is unusual.

I've been having the same problem with my anubias with regards to deteriorating leaves. Can't figure it out.

I've been having the same problem with my anubias with regards to deteriorating leaves. Can't figure it out.

I think it has something to do with the plant not absorbing nutrients.

Btw, my son is distraught with the result on Sunday :sad:

My tank is 240L

Not sure why the plant is not doing well, but getting it to attach to the wood might be easier if you use superglue. That is what I have done with mine and although it has produced plenty of roots, I dont think any of them have attached and it's still the glue holding it in place.

make sure you only use glue made entirely of Cyanoacrylate (will be stated in the ingredients) as this is known to be aquarium safe.

Btw, my son is distraught with the result on Sunday :sad:
Sigh, me too :(

Not sure why the plant is not doing well, but getting it to attach to the wood might be easier if you use superglue. That is what I have done with mine and although it has produced plenty of roots, I dont think any of them have attached and it's still the glue holding it in place.
Same here. I superglued it to some rock using cyanoacrylate and it's nicely held in place, the roots are growing, but none are attaching. Again, only the glue is keeping it there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back