Wobbling guppy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dimityjean

Reaction score
Hey guys, My male blue beautiful guppy has started wobbling when he swims, he is still active and plays with the other guppys :) can someone please help? Thanks.

Is there any chance of you making a short video of this guppy and uploading it to youtube?

Is there any chance of you making a short video of this guppy and uploading it to youtube?

Hello, Yeah sure here is the link, its not the best but I have another if you want better, he is bigger then the others as you may see.. just want to know what's wrong so I can help him.

I'd say it's the result of a genetic spinal deformity, which often happens with inbreeding. So long as he's eating and not getting picked on by the others, he should be fine as is.

I'd say it's the result of a genetic spinal deformity, which often happens with inbreeding. So long as he's eating and not getting picked on by the others, he should be fine as is.

Thankyou very much, I thought it was something to do with his spine as its kinda bent, He only does it sometimes though other then that he is fine! He is he biggest one aswell with the biggest fins also thought they might of been weighing him down, Glad he'll be okay as i dont wanna loose my cutie :)

The question really is, has it always been like that, or is it something that has happened, and if so, happened quickly or over time? If always, probably a congenital defect from intense inbreeding, common in fancy guppies. If sudden, perhaps an injury, has he been caught or handled badly, bashed by another occupant, that kind of thing. If slowly developing, aging issue, guppies typically live for 2 - 3 years in a well maintained tank.
The weight of the fins is not really an issue underwater, not something to worry about.
Frankly, it didn't look too bad to me.

He has one only recently started to do it but he only does it sometimes, when he plays with the other fish he swims normal but then if he'said just swimming around ihe swims with a wobble.

If he is eating normally, and otherwise being normal, I wouldn't worry about it. It is a bit difficult to "see" what you mean by "a wobble", but if it does not appear to be adversly affecting him, I wouldn't worry about it. Might be age related, you know how long you've had him, but that doesn't tell us how old he is. As fish, (birds, reptiles, mammals etc.), get older, they frequently start to exhibit different or odd behaviours.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back