Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Will this work with an African butterfly fish?

Discussion in 'Oddballs' started by Ethank984, May 23, 2017.

1. Ethank984

Ethank984 New Member

I have a 36 gallon tank, and i think I will add a angelfish, and 3 platy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. LyraGuppi

LyraGuppi Member

I wouldn't. ABF have giant jaws, easily big enough to take a bite out of a platy. Along with that, platies would likely be too active in the upper area of the tank for the ABF's comfort.
    Angelfish need larger tanks, and are a social fish.
    You could have this fish with strictly bottom dwelling fish (like large cories) or a fish that mostly sticks to the bottom, like a dwarf cichlid. (Microgeophagus or the smaller apistogramma) Provided that your water is soft enough for these fish, of course. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Byron

Byron Member

I concur with above. The platy and angelfish will not work here. Substrate level fish are about the only options with the African Butterfly fish.

I assume you have just the one...it would be OK to get a second of the opposite gender. A male/female pair would interact periodically, which can be interesting for a fish that otherwise rarely moves, being an ambush predator. Make sure you have lots of floating plants; this fish does not appreciate open spaces at all. When you see them hovering in the corner of the store tanks, it is for a very good reason. Given some floating plants to hide in, and a pair, they will be much less stressed.

Discerning male/female is fairly easy. The anal fin is deeply notched in males, but rounded in females. The photos below show a female and male.

Byron.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Ethank984

Ethank984 New Member

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk