Will Serpae Tetra Work With Guppies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

woody0687

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I currently have 5 Serpae tetras in my tank and would like to get some guppies!

Will they be ok or is it a no go?

I wouldn't risk it. Serpaes are one of the nippiest tetras IME.

I really wouldn't reccomend it. You need more serpaes tbh. :/

which tetras would work with guppies?

i was told these serpaes would be ok with guppies when i bought them, i would have gone for the cardinals if id have known serpaes were the worst nippers!!

woody0687 said:

i was told these serpaes would be ok with guppies when i bought them, i would have gone for the cardinals if id have known serpaes were the worst nippers!!

Let me guess, the LFS told you that...

Cardinals would be a FAR better option with guppies.  What size is your tank?  Is it cycled?

Some tetras that won't work include:
Beuno aires
Serpae

Tetras that might not work are:
Phantom
Skirt

Others should be ok.

eaglesaquarium said:

Let me guess, the LFS told you that...

Cardinals would be a FAR better option with guppies.  What size is your tank?  Is it cycled?

Ye LFS told me! Thing is i would have spent money there on the cardinal so why bother talking BS! I originally went in there for the cardinal but came out with the serpae's ......NOT HAPPY

tank is a 46L been running for a month now and tank levels have been ok so far had an ammonia spike last week but seems to have eased off now.

That's a small tank, and neither cardinals nor any similar sized tetra would be suitable.  Ember tetras would probably work, but I've not kept them.  I'd return the serpae (not suitable for that size tank), get some endlers, rather than guppies and about 6 celestial pearl danio or ember tetras.

i hate catching fish!!!!!!!!

cheers for the advice!!!

Remove most of the water first, it makes it far easier.

eaglesaquarium said:
Remove most of the water first, it makes it far easier.
Great advice :)

Also use either two nets, or one net and your hand. Hold one net still and use the other net, or your hand, to 'herd' the fish. Much less stressful than chasing them around; for you as well as the fish ;)

Also, remove the decor.  Less places for them to hide.

Use a 1 gallon ziptop bag, filled about 1/3-1/2 full of water, then be sure to fill the bag with as much air as possible to transport the fish back to the LFS.  Bring the receipt and explain that you were misinformed by their employee regarding its suitability for your tank.  (Receipt in hand certainly helps, just expecting store cred will be a better outcome.)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back