The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Robbo89

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey,
I have followed every guide to effectively fish-less cycle an aquarium I think exists on the interwebs, and am now about a week off from adding my fish (provided all goes to plan). 
My current plan is to include into my heavily planted 25 gallon tank:
6 Zebra Danio,
8 Black Widow/Phantom Tetra 
2 (1M & 1F) Butterfly/Bolivian Rams
4 Platys

1. From what I have researched, these are all relatively peaceful fish with the exception of the rams when spawning, but with respect to each fish's required parameters, will these fish co-exist in a community tank well together? (25 degrees, Ph 7.0)
2. What order should I add them into my tank, and at what intervals?? The Platys I know are quite hardy so should I add them first? Will the Rams become shy if added last?
3. If not suitable tank mates, could anyone suggest others that may be better?

Thanks in advance!
Alex. :)

1. No. The danios require much cooler water than the rams do. Rams like water at a minimum of 80 degrees, while the danios thrive at around 76, I believe. Be wary of fin-nipping from your tetras. You'll want a larger school to keep them from nipping.
2. Add the platy, then the tetra, then the rams, but see number three first. Rams should be added last because they can be territorial.
3. Danios require cooler water than rams, but should do fine with tetras and platy. However, you shouldn't be adding rams anyway because the absolute bare minimum for a pair is 30 (I argue that 30 gallons is the minimum for a single...). While 25 is fairly close, it still is not quite there. Instead of danios, add more tetras or platy. Instead of rams, I would consider the addition of a gourami, which can be just as beautiful, but is more suited to this tank. Also, you could consider a school of corydoras; my favorites are the albinos. These are really lively fish and are fun to watch. If you have the budget, I'd recommend one of the laser variety as they are absolutely impressive to see.

^Agreed. I would rethink the danios and rams.  Try another schooling fish like harlequins.  I second the idea of a gourami instead of the rams. I have a pearl and he's wonderful. very peaceful, and they have beautiful coloring and very interesting to watch/keep.

You have no bottom feeders!!!! I would suggest a group of pygmy cories. You could probably keep a regular sized cory in there, but with the pygmies you could up the numbers and really get some fun behavior going :hey:

GL and well done doing a complete fish-less cycle!!! Keep us posted on what you decide and of course post pics :D

attibones said:
1. No. The danios require much cooler water than the rams do. Rams like water at a minimum of 80 degrees, while the danios thrive at around 76, I believe. Be wary of fin-nipping from your tetras. You'll want a larger school to keep them from nipping.
2. Add the platy, then the tetra, then the rams, but see number three first. Rams should be added last because they can be territorial.
3. Danios require cooler water than rams, but should do fine with tetras and platy. However, you shouldn't be adding rams anyway because the absolute bare minimum for a pair is 30 (I argue that 30 gallons is the minimum for a single...). While 25 is fairly close, it still is not quite there. Instead of danios, add more tetras or platy. Instead of rams, I would consider the addition of a gourami, which can be just as beautiful, but is more suited to this tank. Also, you could consider a school of corydoras; my favorites are the albinos. These are really lively fish and are fun to watch. If you have the budget, I'd recommend one of the laser variety as they are absolutely impressive to see.
Ah okay, thanks for the reply! The website for rams I was researching most of my info off claims that 80 is the max temp for them? here - http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=420
Would the tetra be tempted to nip the fins of the danio, or the rams? I didn't think that Danio had very nippable fins, oops! 
Thats a shame about the tank size, I was really looking forward to keeping the rams :( Surprising that they need so much space at only 3 inches long, but better to keep them happy and healthy than oppressed. 
Gourami do look very interesting, might have to consider that option! Same for the pygmy corys. Thank you for your advice ! :)

It depends on the tetra.  The danio wouldn't be a concern for getting its fins nipped, except by other danios if not kept in a proper shoal.  Phantoms wouldn't be nippy, but widows (sometimes called skirts) can be if not in proper shoals... 8 should be fine though.

You could look at other dwarf cichlids, like apistogrammas.  Some of them are more suitable for slightly smaller tanks.  Something like the "3 striped" apisto would work in that tank - one pair. 

Danios are small fish but highly active, I would recommend them for a tank that is less than 4 feet, but 6 would be far better.  They are VERY active swimmers and enjoy swimming very rapidly.

eaglesaquarium said:
It depends on the tetra.  The danio wouldn't be a concern for getting its fins nipped, except by other danios if not kept in a proper shoal.  Phantoms wouldn't be nippy, but widows (sometimes called skirts) can be if not in proper shoals... 8 should be fine though.

You could look at other dwarf cichlids, like apistogrammas.  Some of them are more suitable for slightly smaller tanks.  Something like the "3 striped" apisto would work in that tank - one pair. 

Danios are small fish but highly active, I would recommend them for a tank that is less than 4 feet, but 6 would be far better.  They are VERY active swimmers and enjoy swimming very rapidly.
What really excited me was the Bolivian Ram's ability to breed in a community aquarium and observe their courtship behaviours, are there any other suitable fish that are similar to this? I know the Gourami will breed if happy but their fins are too tempting for the tetra, and maybe the danio will not work out then after all. Such a shame seeing all these 200 Litre tanks and Im stuck with my 75 Litre tank :(

Yup - the apistos.

Wait - 75 liters or 25 gallons???

25 US gallons is much closer to 95 litres, and 25 UK gallons is about 110 litres. If your tank is only 75 litres, then the stocking suggestions I gave you in chat are too high.

the_lock_man said:
25 US gallons is much closer to 95 litres, and 25 UK gallons is about 110 litres. If your tank is only 75 litres, then the stocking suggestions I gave you in chat are too high.

:blink: I feel rather silly that I never thought about this. 

Don't feel too bad mumma...  The OP said 25 gallons, which is what I was basing things on... 75 Liters is a whole different situation...

You can keep Boraras sp. or corydoras... Danios need a much longer tank like 4 foot ones. Rasboras can be a good alternative.

25 US Gallons sorry, so roughly 95 Litres. 
So would I be able to keep a pair of Apistogrammas, a large shoal of maybe 8 phantom tetra, say 6 pygmy corys and 1 male gourami in this tank?
Thanks for all your advice guys ! Much appreciated :)

Robbo89 said:
25 US Gallons sorry, so roughly 95 Litres. 
So would I be able to keep a pair of Apistogrammas, a large shoal of maybe 8 phantom tetra, say 6 pygmy corys and 1 male gourami in this tank?
Thanks for all your advice guys ! Much appreciated :)
No. You cant keep gourami with apisto or any other cichlids. As they may intrude into their spawning terrritory

I would suggest against Gouramis with cichlids...  

A pair of smaller apisto, with 8 phantom (remember, while they like being in groups, they are not exactly a shoaling fish, they will scatter throughout the tank more than swim together), and 6 pygmies should be fine.  I'd just skip the gourami and up the pygmy number to 8.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back