April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

braykbeat

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 20 gal long tank and a sun sun 602b filter. An essential piece to the filter broke so i had to order a new filter. I have to wait probably a week. I just want to be sure that my fish will be ok for that long. I put a sponge filter in for now and threw all the sponges and ceramic balls from the other filter into the tank so they keep the bacteria. Do you think my fish will be ok? Any other recommended actions would be appreciated too.

Your fish will be fine. If you want, put all the media into a filter bag attached to an air hose and let the air pump force air through it. This will keep surface turbulence going for gas exchange. When you get the new filter, fill it with the old media and do a 50-75% water change with conditioned and temp matched water.

My power once went out for several days and this is what I did with a battery powered air pump.

don't feed your fish for the next week and do a 50% water change every couple of days. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Have an air pump operating an airstone in the tank to circulate the water and keep the oxygen levels up.

I have 'instant cycled' a couple of tanks recently with success. All I did was wash/rinse the sponges from my established tank filter in the new tank water allowing the new filter to be seeded with the necessary bacteria.
What you've done with your media is fine, but I would squeeze the sponge so the new sponge filter you installed gets seeded with BB.
No need for accelerated water changes, just watch your fish for any signs of distress....but I think they will be fine.

Most reactions

Back