Will live plants help?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
Hello all! I have a 20 gallon tank with a few Cory Catfish. I've had the tank for some time, but I struggle to keep algae levels in check. Brown algae seems to love multiplying in the tank, and I have to do heavy cleaning quite frequently.

Will getting live plants help this situation? I have read that live plants take in some of the nutrients that algae needs to live, thus reducing the problem a bit. If this is the case, what are some hardy, low-maintenance plants I can buy for my tank to keep things balanced?

Thanks!

Plants may help, depending upon the biology. If there is an excess of light or organics, or both, plants will not necessarily help much.

Brown algae to some people means diatoms, but I have frequently seen brush algae called "brown." If it easily comes off decor with your fingertips, it is likely diatoms; if it is very difficult to remove, it is more likely brush algae. Diatoms are common in new tanks (for the first few months) but can continue, depending upon the lighting and nutrients. Brush algae can appear early and always be present.

Balancing the light and nutrients is the only way to deal with problem algae. Plants that are suited to the light you have, and if sufficient nutrients are present, may solve the problem, with or without some tweaking of the light/nutrients. Plants are specific when it comes to light intensity and spectrum; some need more intensity than others. Nutrients must be relative, so fast growing plants will require more light intensity and thus more nutrients than will slow-growing plants.

Can you post a photo of the tank? I'd probably get a better idea of the issue if I see it. Also detail your lighting.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back