Will I Kill Good Bacteria?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Francesjane

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am soon going to start doing a fishless cycle and just want to know if putting filter media and substrate from my existing tank in it, THEN adding the ammonia to start a cycle is any good? Or do I not use and media before ammonia?

I am assuming that you are keeping your old tank running at the same time? If so you can mix some of you existing media with the new media in your new filter it will speed the process up no end, as you will be introducing the bacteria. This will quickly spread to colonize your new media. You can then replace the media from your existing tank with new media, and the same will happen in your old filter. I would recommend that you don't remove more than 30% of your old media from you existing filter though. 

If however this is a replacement tank then use all the media. 

Move the media, then add a little ammonia(2-3ppm).

Thank you for that...so reading by your answer I CAN add ammonia to the partial media I have added to the new tank?!

Francesjane said:
Thank you for that...so reading by your answer I CAN add ammonia to the partial media I have added to the new tank?!
Yes. The bacteria feeds off it 
good.gif

Agreed on adding the ammonia to your new cycling tank, no problem. In fact, it's a must!

Hopefully it'll cycle really quickly with some mature media! Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back