Wiesbaden Swordtails

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fish48

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I bought the only matching pair of wiesbaden swordtails from a local fish shop and as usual they were in a tank with other mixed swordtails. The Wiesbaden strain was first developed back in 19 37. Many of the color varieties seen today are descended / re developed strains from the past. When it comes to cultivated fish it may be easy to pick out what seems to be a matching pair both fish may be genetically different. And of course there’s the risk of them being impregnated by a different color variety. However, by selective breeding it is possible to get these fish to breed true,     

Attachments

• IMG_0556 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0556 (640x480).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_0655 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0655 (640x480).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 309
Absolutely stunning :)

Which shop did you get them from - I'm assuming it's local to you?

[SIZE=16pt]pets at home Eastleigh. In recent months.they have had some nice strains of swordtails. [/SIZE]

Wow, not often P@H gets something decent in. I was wondering if it was that chap in Boyatt Wood, can't remember the name, but the only LFS I've ever seen Prime in. None of the LFS around Portsmouth stock it.

I quite often visit  lfs once in a while 1 come across something a little different than the usual . Last weekend visited some fish shops in and around Portsmouth,  had a look around the new one that just opened fantastic fins ; not fully stocked probably worth another visit .

Ah, yeah, this is Dale's place, the guy that used to be the manager of The Aquatic Centre, about a mile up the same road. Not been in yet, and sounds like I want to leave it another month or so yet!

I'd guess you also went into Arundel Aviaries and Fisheries, since it's jsut around the corner - did you get also get into the one in Drayton (Emsworth Aquaria & Reptiles)? I'd be interested to see if your opinion of these two matches mine!

I visited the Aquatic Centre on a number of times, I did go to Emsworth  Aquaria & Reptiles . It’s not a bad fish shop. Although I only been there the once.  I can not go to Portsmouth without visiting Arundel Aviaries and Fisheries. Very knowledgeable staff. They put themselves out to get something different from the usual bread-and-butter fish a fantastic fish shop well worth visiting.

I have a very poor opinion of Emsworth Aquaria - it strikes me that they don't really want the aquatic stuff if they didn't have to, they'd prefer to concentrate on the reptiles. At one point I was in there, and they had 5 or 6 tanks with a dead fish in each - now I know every LFS gets the occasional dead one, but that just seemed to many at one time.

Arundel Aviaries & Fisheries is also one of my favourites, I got my first batch of peacock gudgeon from there - I think I'd like them to be a bit more professional in as much as they just handwrite the tank contents on the tanks, and sometimes it's up to date, and sometimes it's not. I certainly agree that the staff are very knowledgeable.

I have got to say I did not see any dead fish at  Emsworth Aquaria, and as I mentioned I have only been there once.
I would have the same opinion as you, if I had gone in a fish shop and seen 5 or 6 tanks with dead fish in each it’s just not acceptable, What really annoys me is going to a fish shop and seeing some really sick disease fish swimming around in their tanks. I have seen some that are so far gone that should  of been  discarded

Tried to pop into Arundel the other day but it was shut. First time I was going to have a look in there, had a spare half hour before I had to travel back across the water.

I'll try and get in next time if you guys say it's reasonable in there.

I'm not sure i think they close on Wednesdays some of the rare fish can be on the pricey side, you can except that rare fish are more  expensive to ship.

Certainly shut on Wednesday afternoons (it was always the traditional half-day closing for Portsmouth), but not sure about in the morning.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back