Why Won't Tiger Snail Eat This?

GuppyGirl20

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've been trying to grow algae for my nerite tiger snail to eat. I finally got green algae so I put some in my tank earlier this afternoon. It doesn't look like he has touched it! :( I think it might be classified as hair algae since it floats a little and is attached to the rock. Do snails not like this kind or are they not so bright so it might take him a minute to grasp "hey, there's algae on this for me to eat!" ? I was informed that snails don't eat the black algae so I was wondering if this was the wrong stuff again (because I don't want it in my tank long if he's not going to eat it and then it just take over or something).

Nerites tend to just graze the macro algae on rocks and on the glass. They will eat diatoms and cyano as well. 

I've honestly never had much luck with anything eating hair algae. 

not even shrimp can guzzle down hair algae. But mbuna can but the risk they pose to other fish and plants is big.

not even my stiphodon gobies touch my hair algae. but you can try your luck at otocinclus

Okay. Thanks for the replies. I took the algae covered rock out of my tank so hopefully I didn't do any damage. Question though: Does anyone have any tips on how to get the right kind of algae that they eat??? I honestly had no idea getting algae was this difficult lol

they eat diatoms which are the brown algae on the glass, they also eat the green slime algae on rocks but not the hair algae

Do you have a tank light? If so extend the hours of running it by 2 hours and algae should naturally form. If you don't have a tank light either buy one or move the tank (easiest at weekly water changes ;)) to a brighter location where it will catch more light. If your still struggling a small tub placed in your garden filled with water should be algae ridden within the week.

Nothing much eats hair algae as it has a high silica structure making it very difficult to process and not very nutritious. Its extremely difficult to get rid of once its established and can quickly coat a tank with slimey hair. If you notice any in your tank you should immediately remove the affected item.

The quickest an easiest way to feed snails in my opinion is to grab a small slice of courgette or cucumber, tie it to a weight and drop it in the tank 1 hour before sundown (snails are most active at this time) check every 30 minutes aand the snails should flock to it.

My light is on for over twelve hours a day usually. There wasnt much algae in the tank when I bought the snail but I dodnt want more to form. He keeps the super clean which is why I fell like he's not getting enough. I'll try the cucumber thing, thanksn

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back