Why my ghost shrimp look like this

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gouramiii

Reaction score
hes looked like this for over a month now.. he started out with black spots and then turned white and black.. he's his same normal self, just black and white.. none of my other ghost shrimps look like this.

EDIT: he's hard to see but he's in the middle of the photos

Attachments

• IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    595 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    670.8 KB · Views: 235
Because the photos are quite small it is hard to see the shrimp, but I would check out shrimp diseases like white muscle disease.
Sadly there is no known cure 100% death rate and depending on the underlaying cause its highly contangious.

You might be about to get a better picture by moving further away from the tank and then zooming in. Moving further away get you a sharper focus. Zooming in compensates for the greater distance. I do not know what is causing the color change.

Because the photos are quite small it is hard to see the shrimp, but I would check out shrimp diseases like white muscle disease.
Sadly there is no known cure 100% death rate and depending on the underlaying cause its highly contangious.
I searched it and it only came up with stuff that affects mammals.. I doubt it's that though because none of my other shrimp have contracted it and this shrimp is still alive.. He first started out with black dots everywhere but now his shell is white with black dots.. Idk it's weird

Both, but thanks I'll check those out.

Okay I highly doubt it's white muscle disease as my shrimp has been alive for over a month now with no symptoms of dying, nor has the white coloration started off with it's tail. It originally started off with black dots all over it's body, then after a couple days I noticed it had turned completely white while still retaining the black stuff.

I think I have narrowed it down to two diseases, but if it doesn't die anytime soon, then it could just possibly be something else.

With good water paramters/ tank maintenance and good quality foods the shrimp can last quite a long time, I think the longest I have had a wild caught white bodied macrobrachium last in captivity has been around 3-6 months. But the outcome is always the same in the end.
Depending on the disease depends on how it is transmitted. Some shrimp diseases they believe are transmitted sexually, by male carriers that infect the females and her subsequent offspring then carry the disease doramantly until some environmental stress triggers the disease the take hold. Environmental stresses can be too hot temperature, too cold, lack of food or over crowding because of dwindling water sources, eg height of summer with little or no rain so water courses are reducing in volume.
The other theory for some shrimp diseases is that shrimp become infected when eating the already diseased corpses of fellow shrimp, and or eating the droppings of infected shrimp.
To the naked eye many shrimp diseases look similar (the few that have actually been studied for economic impacts on commercial industries), and it is only via detailed microscopic investigation can a positive identification of the disease can potentially be correctly identified.
Best of luck with your shrimp and please keep us updated with its progress.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back