Why Is My Platy Changing Color?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

quantumnerd

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A while back, I bought a platy. He's an assorted platy, but bears a dulled mickey mouse mark on his back.

He's grey, but when the light catches him (pure white light) sometimes he appears slightly blue.

There's a bit of a problem... recently, his upper fin turned reddish, and the scales on the base of the fin turned red.

What's wrong with him? :no:

Thanks!

Its hard to tell from the pics as they are slightly blurred.

Does the red look like a natural colouring? or does it look like internal bleeding or streaks?

Andy

Its hard to tell from the pics as they are slightly blurred.

Does the red look like a natural colouring? or does it look like internal bleeding or streaks?

Andy

Yeah, the pics are blurry. The little guy is hitting on the orange platy...

It looks a bit like internal bleeding... natural coloring, even when sharply contrasting (EG: the bridge between the blue and red on a neon tetra) tends to have a moderate blur.

It's strange, really. If anything, he's slightly aggressive. Other fish seem to ignore him when not playing "follow the leader" with him. (they don't attack, just follow in a train and pick random leaders)

Hi quantumnerd :)

I'm going to move your thread to the Livebearers section and hope that you get some more information there. My posting will bump it to the top of the list. :D

It's hard to tell from the pics - platys won't stop moving when you want them to - they are so hard to photograph!

The platys born in my tank have changed colour as they grow, so it's definitely possible. I don't have any with red fins, but I found this pic on google:

[URL="http://www.goliadfarms.com/images/products/fish/livebear/platies/maculatus/mickeymousewhite_male.jpg"]http://www.goliadfarms.com/images/products...ewhite_male.jpg[/URL]

which seems to look quite similar to your platy? You can see the normal pattern of colouring - does yours look like this, or more like damage?

I have some immature silver (semi see-through) Platys that have a holographic slight blue tinge about them in certain light. Lately these 2 have started to develop orage coloured tiger stripes where the abdomen meets the tail. The orange colouring is very faint at the moment.

The 2 silver immatures were bought with a mature female that had fully developed stripes of the same pattern, but these were electric blue in colour.

I'm assuming that the developing stripes are normal - anyone care to tell me that it's abnormal for those orange stripes to develop? The fish act normal, and it doesn't look like internal bleeding. If it's not normal then can anyone hazard a guess as to what it is?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back