Why Is My Anubias Turned Black?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xingumike

Got beer?
Reaction score
See below pictures, any common cause for this?

Too much light?
Not enough?
Old leaves?

No ferts or CO2 added to tank, lights run for about 7 hours a day, in a well lit room.

Lighting is 2 x 25w T8's, one white, one red (its actually pink)

anubis2.jpg

anubis.jpg

Pics dont seem to work mate, but is it Black Beard Algae? I had some of this on mine once, so I bleached it off and changed the lighting arrangements. It never came back.

Looks like algae to me, slow growing plants like this are known for it.

Unsure what type it is though.

Can you rub it off with your fingers ?

Is there much water movement around that area ?

LP

Pretty good flow rate all round the tank, its a 250l running an Eheim 2217 and Tetratec ex700, I always over filter :)

Unsure whether it rubs off, will check when I'm back from the boozer.

It's odd how the newer leaves in the middle of picture 2 don't display it

It's odd how the newer leaves in the middle of picture 2 don't display it
Not really. They haven't been there for long enough for the algae to grow on them yet! :lol:

Btw, it is algae. Very common on slow growers as has been mentioned. Growing them in shady spots can help.

I did wonder why no one had mentioned that... And thought maybe it was me being silly. I was told by my lfs that it may get algae on it as it is very slow growing. :/ Mine has always been fine though.

The pictures do work, sorry it must be my computer at work. It is the same algae I had on mine a while back; black beard if I remember correctly. I removed the Anubis from the tank and dipped the leaves only (not the roots) in a bleach solution of around 20:1 (water to bleach). Remove it after around 1.5 - 2 mins and you will see that the algae is now grey or red. Most of it will brush off with your fingers. The rest will die off within a few days. Then give it a bath in double strength dechlorinated water and it is good to go back in the tank.

my anubis is the same way, i had mine in a very high flow area, and it still grew. i think its just cuz of the slow growing nature. i should try growing mine in the shade, i wonder if that would help.....

my anubis is the same way, i had mine in a very high flow area, and it still grew. i think its just cuz of the slow growing nature. i should try growing mine in the shade, i wonder if that would help.....

+1

The slow growing nature of Anubias means it is prone to algae coverage. Shading it is your best option because when it comes down to it, the problem is too much light.
Trim and old, tired, algae covered leaves. Plants love a good prune :good:

Shading it is your best option because when it comes down to it, the problem is too much light.
Trim and old, tired, algae covered leaves. Plants love a good prune :good:
Indeed, the Anubias barteri var. nana golden that I have that happens to be shaded under a piece of bogwood doesn't have algae on it. The ones that are out in the full strength of the light do. You work it out ;) :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back