Why Do You Need To Remove Carbon Filter While Treating Ich?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

k9cop

Reaction score
OK I started my treatment today in my aquarium. Couple of other questions:

Why do they say to take out your carbon filter while doing the treatments? The water will get very dirty very fast won't it? Just do regular partial changes during this time? Is it going to cause problems adding conditioner along with Ich medication as far as putting too many chemicals in the water?

I am sure I know the answer to my other question but is it ok to introduce new fish into the aquarium while I am treating it for Ich, I am sure the answer is no but just checking...

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!

The carbon in the filter removes chemicals from the water. Therefore any medicene you add is going to be removed by the carbon, that's why you are told to remove it. The water shouldnt get any dirtier, there should be foam or other material in your filter, other than carbon. What filter do you have?

You can still do your normal water changes, just remember to add the ich medicene again. Keep adding the dechlorinator too, it's fine adding both that and the ich meds

As for adding new fish, personally i'd wait until you are sure the ich is gone, otherwise you risk the new fish catching it and dying. But other than that i dont think there's any harm adding new fish whilst treating

I have a cheap brand of pump and filter that came with my 10 gallon kit. I just purchased a Mariland Penguin filter pump last night with the Bio-Wheel. I figured this would be a better setup than the dinky one that came with the tank that doesn't have the bio-wheel. I am waiting to install the new filter system until my Ich is cleared up.

I took my current filter out and had to tear part of the sponge away to get all of the carbon out of it. Seemed to work ok when I put it back in the filter box.....

How long do you have to remove the carbon filter for? I used Jungle tabs.
You need to kep the carbon out during the whole treatment. Or if the medication doesnt have a specific time of treatment do not put the carbon back until you know the ich is gone and you are finished medicating.

So should I wait to switch over my pump and filter until I am done with the Ich treatments? I am worried about destroying the good bacteria. Where does the good bacteria reside in my current filter? I know on my new one that is what the bio-wheel is for but where is it on my old one? The one I currently use has a 2nd cartridge insert that is flossy looking. Is that it?

So should I wait to switch over my pump and filter until I am done with the Ich treatments? I am worried about destroying the good bacteria. Where does the good bacteria reside in my current filter? I know on my new one that is what the bio-wheel is for but where is it on my old one? The one I currently use has a 2nd cartridge insert that is flossy looking. Is that it?

Good bacteria reside everywhere in the aquarium, but the filter sponges and bio media are espically rich with it as fresh water and oxygen are flowing through the filter constantly. I would wait until you get rid of the Ich before swapping the filter as the fish are already stressed by the parasites. Changing the filter now would possibly affect the water quality and stress the fish even more.

FYI... For an Ich attack, I would raise the water temp about 1 degree every 12 hrs, until you reach 87 degrees. Raise it slowly so you don't stress the fish too much. Most fish can tolerate this high temp quite well. Just add some air stones because the higher temp will reduce the oxygen levels in the water. You can also lower the water level somewhat if you have HOB filters on the tank. That will boost the oxygen levels in the water at the higher temps.

The higher temp will speed up the life cycle of the Ich parasite. At temps above 86 degrees, the vulernable free swimming form of the parasite dies before it can attach to a host fish. Used properly, heat alone can effectively stop an Ich attack, but you must leave the heat up for about two weeks after the last white spot disappears from your fish.

Since you've already added meds, I'd raise the water temp to about 84 and then wait and see if the meds can clear it up. If not, go the extra few degrees and watch the magic of heat thearpy.

How long do you have to remove the carbon filter for? I used Jungle tabs.
I am curious about this too as we have just removed filter to treat with mela and pins fix. It seems like if we don’t have that filter in for an extended period off time then we should prob expect some ammonia or nitrite spikes. Any idea if that’s true? I realize this post was from a long time ago now but figured I’d ask.

The carbon should be removed from the tank until after treatment has finished.

If the only media in the filter is carbon cartridges, cut the cartridge open and remove the carbon, then put the empty cartridge back in the filter. The fabric part of the cartridge will hold some bacteria. If at all possible, add sponge to the filter, there should be room alongside the now flat cartridge. You don't need to use carbon full time and sponge is much better.

If there are other media besides the carbon, they will soon grow more bacteria to make up the number lost with the carbon.

If the tank has been running for at least several months there will be a lot of bacteria in the substrate. And if there are lots of live plants in the tank they will take up the ammonia made by the fish.

The carbon should be removed from the tank until after treatment has finished.

If the only media in the filter is carbon cartridges, cut the cartridge open and remove the carbon, then put the empty cartridge back in the filter. The fabric part of the cartridge will hold some bacteria. If at all possible, add sponge to the filter, there should be room alongside the now flat cartridge. You don't need to use carbon full time and sponge is much better.

If there are other media besides the carbon, they will soon grow more bacteria to make up the number lost with the carbon.

If the tank has been running for at least several months there will be a lot of bacteria in the substrate. And if there are lots of live plants in the tank they will take up the ammonia made by the fish.
Thanks for the reply. I just took a video of the reason we are medicating and was trying to decide where or on what thread to share it on. Any tips ? It’s a video of our fem Molly who is having some troubles.

When you change filters do not simply take the old one out and put the new one in as this will likely cause water quality issues. You have 2 choices: Run the new one and old one together for a month or two to allow the beneficial bacteria to build up in the new one before removing the old. Or take the media out of the old one and put as much of it as you can into the new filter (alongside the new media) while the bacteria establishes in the new filter. There is no reason why you should not do this now.

Most reactions

Back