Why do my cardinals seem to fight?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thanks, any bright fish?

What about a pleco, tiger frog looks nice, would that work with tetras?

Last edited:
thanks, any bright fish?

What about a pleco, tiger frog looks nice, would that work with tetras?

I assume the pleco you mean is L134, which has been described as Pecoltia compta. This fish attains over four inches. Plecos have a fair impact on the biology, and that is something to keep in mind in small tanks. This is a beautiful pleco, but not one I would confine in so small a tank. I know they don't swim actively, but they do need space with chunks of wood (and this species seems to like smooth rocks) so they can browse and graze and the more space for such a fish to move about, the better. Only one as they are territorial (as most if not all plecos are) and males will squabble which is more dangerous than one might think.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=213

What kind of impact on my tank do you mean exactly, would it possibly kill my cardinals?

Is there any bright pleco I can stick in there without risking a massacre?

I know cardinals like to sleep on the floor or close to it?

What kind of impact on my tank do you mean exactly, would it possibly kill my cardinals?

Is there any bright pleco I can stick in there without risking a massacre?

I know cardinals like to sleep on the floor or close to it?

The impact of plecos is biological because they produce a lot of waste. Having said that, it is the more strictly vegetarian species that do this; vegetarians have to eat considerably more food than carnivores so more waste is naturally produced, and with vegetarians the waste is also greater in volume, so it is a double whammy so to speak.

Biologically speaking, plecos have a tremendous bio load, meaning they poop a lot. All that poo is converted to ammonia, then nitrites, then nitrates (Nitrogen cycle). Having a fish that craps a ton in a small tank means nitrates build up more quickly and water changes will need to be preformed more often to keep the balance.

There are no plecos that come to mind for a 54L (15ish gal) tank. They all grow too large and have large bio loads. Your tank is nearly considered a "nano" tank so really you can only have nano inhabitants. If you want colorful bottom feeders look into cherry shrimp. I think they will get on well with the cardinals and likely breed like rabbits. Provide enough cover for the baby shrimp and you will soon have dozens. Might want to take a gander and the different colors of Mystery snails too.

These are just low grade cherries and and a natural colored one. You can have bright reds, blues, yellows, orange, black, jade, chocolate etc.
shrimp3.JPG

No offence meant, I just find them a bit unpleasant to look at, I'm also not a fan of snails!

Just me!

What about:
Corydoras sterbai

Are there any other that are easy to keep but brightly coloured and wont eat/bother my cardinals?

Corries do best in large groups and most get too big to keep the proper numbers in your tank. Look into pygmy cordoras.

IMO a 55 Liter tank is too small for Cardinals.

What sort of substrate do you have?
You could look into Kuhli Loaches. 5 or 6 would be fine in a 15gallon tank.
4f632ba612315.jpg

I’ve got small black gravel.

Cardinals are fine for a 54 litre, in facts it’s more than enough room for them!

Could I go for 12 cardinals and 6 harlequin rasbora?

Last edited:
Far too many mid level schooling fish. The two species will be competing for swimming space, possibly leading to aggression. Honestly at this point you seem to be listing off species that look good to you rather than researching their needs and deciding from there. Meaning no offense, but I think you should start researching on your own.

Kuhli loaches are a great option though, I adore them and have 5 in a 10gal.

Firstly, I am doing my own research, secondly, I appreciate any help but it's my tank and if I don't like your choice of fish, I'm not going to put it in, finally if you don't want to help don't, but don't be condescending then stroppy when I don't agree with you

Firstly, I am doing my own research, secondly, I appreciate any help but it's my tank and if I don't like your choice of fish, I'm not going to put it in, finally if you don't want to help don't, but don't be condescending then stroppy when I don't agree with you

This thread has gone around the same question/issue more than a couple times. There are some very experienced aquarists on this forum, and the suggestions have been consistent. You do however keep asking the same question, and appear determined to do what is not going to be in the best interests of the fish. Yes it is your aquarium, but fish come first, not your or my ideas if these should be beyond the scope of what will be in the best interest of the fish. They are living creatures that have inherent requirements for their care.

This is a small tank, and you should be looking at "nano" fish species. Nothing else is going to work if one cares about the fish. Gravel was mentioned, you don't want this with cories, and the "dwarf" species absolutely must have sand. Kuhli loaches should too, though I don't know exactly what "small black gravel" might be.

You mention not wanting or liking snails...that is unfortunate as they are your best friends in any aquarium, and with this small a tank of even greater benefit.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back