Why are the shell dwellers so hard to find?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BeckyCats

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi! I have been looking for the small shell dwelling cichlids but have not found any. From what I've read online, they breed in captivity easily and are often described as "prolific." If this is the case, why are they so hard to find? You'd think they'd be popular since they are a small, adorable fish that breeds easily. I asked in my LFS if they could be special ordered but was told that they have to be wild-caught. Why would this be the case though if they breed in captivity easily?

Does anyone have any light to shed on this?

Thank you.

I think it depends on the area you live in. I live in Michigan and I've only been to two local pet stores that sell shellies, and if I remember correctly it was only 2 species. And I agree, they are so adorable :) I've been wanting a pair or two but I'm trying to hold back until I have the time and $$ to get them.

Another things is, there's a lot of people out there who don't know about them. I think they could become more popular if word got out how easy they are to care for.

Another things is, there's a lot of people out there who don't know about them. I think they could become more popular if word got out how easy they are to care for.

I think so too. I'm not giving up hope though. :)

My LFS always has some in Stock. The UK is obviously different. I agree though that there are surely loads being tank bred.

I quite fancy keeping them but the main reason I haven't tried them yet is because think the fry would be difficult to shift.

My LFS always has some in Stock. The UK is obviously different. I agree though that there are surely loads being tank bred.

I quite fancy keeping them but the main reason I haven't tried them yet is because think the fry would be difficult to shift.

Yes, that was my one concern. What would I do if I didn't get all females (which is what I would prefer) and ended up with lots of fry? I have trouble with rehoming because I would be afraid it might not be a good home. Do you know if the ones in your LFS are wild-caught or captive-bred?

I don't know for sure but I reckon they are most likely local, or at least bred somewhere in the UK

I think having a female only tank would take away from the main reason for keeping them, ie to see them establishing territories and bringing up youngsters.

I would find them adorable just watching them swim around, hanging out in their shells. I read that they move the shells around too, although that might have been the males.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back