Who Killed My Pleco?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishnovice

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I was devastatated to find my lovely albino BN female that I had grown from 2cm fry floating dead on the bottom of my tank. I had 3 BN, all siblings acquired as tiny fry 16 months ago.The largest is a 13cm brown male who defends his territory. The other2 were the 10cm albino and a smaller 8cm brown female/sub male. The dead albino had a large red bruise on top of its head and a black area at the side near the gills. I noticed its odontodes were fully extended (never seen my BN do this alive) and its pectoral fins extended rigidly. Could it have been trying to defend itself? Other fish including remaining two BN are well.

The other tank occupants are a mediun sized gourami and one angel fish. I also added about 16 mostly male guppies to teh tank abut 2 weeks ago and they have all disapeared too, 8 of them overnight. I onlt found 2 bodies so can only assume they have been eaten. But which of my fish is capable of killing BN and swallowing male guppies whole?

How big is your tank?

Its possible your guppies died and then were eaten.

angel fish are known to eat small tetras and guppies. are there 2 male BN in there. my BN is very protective of his tree root log decoration. I also read that when a male bristlenose goes into anothers territory they will fight for it. also they may have been fighting over who gets to mate with the female

angel fish are known to eat small tetras and guppies. are there 2 male BN in there. my BN is very protective of his tree root log decoration. I also read that when a male bristlenose goes into anothers territory they will fight for it. also they may have been fighting over who gets to mate with the female
I knew that angels ate neons but didn't know that they ate guppies too. Poor guppies - guess they ended up as expensive angel food
As far as I know the dead albino plec was a female as only the largest of the 3 had a few bristles and defended his log decoration. Very surprises that anything could attack let alone kill a well armoured BN plec.

Are you sure it wasn't the guppies that brought any sort of disease in with them?.... other possibility and probably the biggest possibility is the large male BN had killed it.... the damage to fins and marks could just be a territorial dispute that caused the smaller BN to have severe injuries?... it could also have been in breeding mode where the male can be quite aggression with the female while breeding. Ive had this with various other species and also BN's.

There are many possibilities to why tbh, the extension of the hooks is quite common with a dead BN so that really isn't anything to go by.

Just monitor the rest of the fish and see how it goes.

How big is the tank?

Are you sure it wasn't the guppies that brought any sort of disease in with them?.... other possibility and probably the biggest possibility is the large male BN had killed it.... the damage to fins and marks could just be a territorial dispute that caused the smaller BN to have severe injuries?... it could also have been in breeding mode where the male can be quite aggression with the female while breeding. Ive had this with various other species and also BN's.

There are many possibilities to why tbh, the extension of the hooks is quite common with a dead BN so that really isn't anything to go by.

Just monitor the rest of the fish and see how it goes.

How big is the tank?
The guppies came from a private home and were all healthy and breeding profusely in their previous tank. I noticed the angel chasing he smaller ones when I first added them to the tank and was prepared to lose a feew fry/juveniles but didn't expect 1o adult males to disappear
Th egourami is not very big, either a youngster or dwarf species. Guess it was the larger male BN then in a fight over territory or mating.
It's an 80cm tank

I think it is very strange.First I thought pleco kills Angel Fishes,but now I see an aggressive Angel Fish killed your Pleco?Very terrible,now who will clean your tank?I hope this Angel Fish did not suck it's life.
Angel Fishes only peck,not kill,OK.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back