April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Do Your Attend Fish Events

• No- I have never been to one

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Yes- I have been to at least one.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Yes- I attend one or more of these a year.

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

TwoTankAmin

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I am curious if any of the other members here ever attend or spend a day at weekend fish events. Here in the states they are usually sponored/hosted by local clubs.

Have to say I have never attended any fish clubs or events to date.

Though have been to one fish & tank equip auction, thats it.

Trouble is, its probably not worth my while to attend any fish clubs or conventions and events etc as communication is not easy for me.

I used to be a member of an aquarists club, although not any more (it's 30 miles away, I don't drive and no-one else I know goes any more
sad.png
).

I always enjoyed it and would encourage anyone who can get to one to give it a go.

Mind you, I was very lucky with my club. Some of the senior members worked at a marine aquarium and we had others who worked in university departments, plus a couple of people who wrote for PFK. We had some great guest speakers, including John Endler, who was brilliant
smile.png

I used to like going to shows as well; I didn't show my fish, but my mum won a few prizes for the blue guppies she used to breed, amongst others (I know she won a breeder's class with some kribs once, for instance)
smile.png

I have in the past, but now health and money prevent it.

Never been to a show or joined a local club. Part of my reluctance to join either is that all of my local shows attract mostly older, retired folk. A young son-of-a-gun like me tends to feel out of place.

no to both questions for me. I've never seen anything in my area to go to, plus my health problems limit what I can do - I can't walk far or for very long and sitting for any length of time is also a no-no.

To be honest I'm happy chatting on forums :)

I don't belonge to any but I'm looking into my local reef club to see if it's worth joining.

I'd love to, but I'd feel extremely out of place and noobish. :p

Do not worry about being new to the hobby. Everybody, no matter how long they have been keeping fish, started as a newbie.

As for age, Fish events are one of the few places you can go where age matters relatively little, I am one of those old folks and I love seeing younger folks in the hobby. You are the people who will be the old foks down the road.

The is an annual event in the states for the American Cichlid Association. It rotates having different clubs host its annual event in different parts of the country every year. They have events for younger folks:

Kids' tank decorating contest

Subtitle
50 TEN GALLON AQUARIUMS AVAILABLE! ALL ENTRANTS GET TO KEEP THEIR AQUARIUM!! LIMITED TO THE FIRST 50 ENTRANTS. $10 Entry Fee with proceeds to benefit Guy Jordan Research Fund. Sponsored by United Pet Group, Segrest Farms and proudly presented by the New England Cichlid Association.
HOW: Click here and scroll down to "Kids' tank decorating contest" to register your child.
WHO: Kids between the ages of 8 and 16.
WHAT: Awards will be given for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the classes below. 1st place winners will receive a food and water care prize package. Contest will be judged on originality and use of decorations.
  • Class 1 - Tanks decorated with supplies donated by Segrest Farms and United Pet Group.
  • Class 2 - Tanks decorated with BYO (bring your own) supplies AND those donated by Segrest Farms and United Pet Group.
  • Don't forget
    Bring your own fish safe décor to personalize your aquarium. Each entry will be provided gravel and plants on-site to help you decorate!
  • We will have a short presentation on keeping tropical fish and some craft projects too!
  • You can choose up to 12 fish (provided by Segrest Farms) for their new home after you’ve decorated your aquarium!. 

WHEN: Saturday, August 1: Contest and kids activities from 2:00 - 4:30 PM
WHERE: ACA 2015 Convention, Sheraton Hotel, One Monarch Place, Springfield, MA

About the only thing younger keepers cannot do at the evets is to consume alcohol if you are underage. You can arrent the presentations, you can talk to the pro's too.

Sounds like absolute heaven, but it's too far away. =/

I would like to search around for local clubs, just to get some ideas.

Im a member of a couple local clubs and often attend meets and events etc.

I wish I had a local society, I think my nearest is about 35 miles away. I used to belong to 2 societies and competed in fish shows around Scotland

[SIZE=10.5pt] Im a member of Eastleigh & southampton District Aquarist society[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]MEETING EVERY 1 ST AND 3RD MONDAY OF THE MONTH[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]GOOD COMPANIONS EASTLEIGH, S050 9DS [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Eastleigh & District Aquarist society open fish show Saturday 9th may 2015.[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=10.5pt]Velmore Community Centre -[/SIZE]
Falkland Road
Chandler's Ford
Eastleigh

SO53 3GY

some events /shows

22nd March        ASAS Open Show

26th April           Mid Sussex AS Open Show

09th May            Eastleigh & Soton Dist. AS Open Show     

17th May            Corby AS Open Show

24 May                  A of A AUCTION
30th May            Southend & Leigh AS Open Show

13th June           Bracknell AS Open Show

20th June           Hounslow AS Open Show

9 August            THREE COUNTIES OPEN SHOW   (A of A)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back