Whitespot And Black Ghost Knife Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

richardnorris

Reaction score
Hi,
I believe a couple of my hoplosternum cats have whitespot, they share a tank with my black ghost knife fish. I am aware that BGKs doen't tolerate medications very well. Are there any medications out in the UK that are suitable, I generally use Waterlifes Protozin in my other tank but not sure if this is safe to use with my bgk. How would you recommend I proceed with treatment. Only the cats are showing signs of whitespot, my angels, gourami, bgk and plec all seem free off it.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Richard

since the BGK is a scaleless fish id probably got for a halfdose of white spot med or try raising temp, adding oygenation and salt.

I've very successfully (i.e. no casualties and fully resolved within 7 days) medicated a tank with clown loaches and a BGKF, using 3/4 dose of Interpet anti whitespot, @ 81 degrees F.

I've very successfully (i.e. no casualties and fully resolved within 7 days) medicated a tank with clown loaches and a BGKF,

Exactly what i was gonna say, but using half a dose of WS3 every other day for 6 days (so 3 doses)

I've very successfully (i.e. no casualties and fully resolved within 7 days) medicated a tank with clown loaches and a BGKF, using 3/4 dose of Interpet anti whitespot, @ 81 degrees F.
Considering that the life cycle of ich is 14 days, how can you be sure it was "fully resolved" in 7 days?

Good point Andywg. Can you move the hoplos to another tank?

Yes, I was coming to that conclussion, I have a 2 ft tank with a banjo cat and a couple of guppies in that I could use, just a bit concerned about whether the banjo cat get any food as the hoplos are greedy swines.

Cheers

I had a bgk for 5 years before he got ick and passed. It was not a particularly bad case, jsut the meds killed him in the end. I'll tell you what I did to treat it so you don't do what I did. Half dosed malachite green/ formalin for 3 days and ended treatment. He took it well for about a week but then started swimming drunkenly and died 4 days after with not one spot on him. temp was 83F

Hey I’ve posted about white spot and someone sent me this link to read... I’ve ised interpet white spot + and raised the temp hoping this will work my clown fish are showing signs of white spot and I raindow krib bettas and ghost knife aswell as a few more in hoping things will improve what else could I try if this doesn’t I also have corys which I’ve been told won’t tolerate any salt no matter how small the dose

Utopian321.

If your fish have whitespot, you can treat it with heat. You raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks. Then lower the temperature back down to whatever it normally is.

Do a 80-90% water change and gravel clean the substrate before raising the temperature. This will dilute the number of disease organisms in the water.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

The following link has information about whitespot. The first post on page 1 and second post on page 2 are worth reading.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-is-ich.7092/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back