White stuff on angelfish lip

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The pictures didn't work. Can you try posting them again?

-----------------------
How long has the tank been set up for?
How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?

When was the last time you cleaned the filter?

What new fish have you added in the last 2 weeks?

-----------------------
Fish can damage their mouths when they are caught or put into a new tank. They might hurt it when they swim into an ornament or the glass. It isn't that common but can occur on any fish.

The other reason fish get white puffy lips is mouth fungus (Columnaris). This is a fast growing flesh eating bacteria that rapidly erodes the skin on the mouth, face and head and usually kills the fish within a few days to a week of first showing symptoms.

I would do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Wipe the inside of the glass down before doing the water change.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

Monitor the fish and post some pics. If it gets worse over the next 24-48 hours and spreads over the face, then you will need some anti-biotics to treat it with. If it doesn't get worse then it is probably bruising from bumping into something and it should heal up without any need to add medications, as long as the tank is clean.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The pictures didn't work. Can you try posting them again?

-----------------------
How long has the tank been set up for?
How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?

When was the last time you cleaned the filter?

What new fish have you added in the last 2 weeks?

-----------------------
Fish can damage their mouths when they are caught or put into a new tank. They might hurt it when they swim into an ornament or the glass. It isn't that common but can occur on any fish.

The other reason fish get white puffy lips is mouth fungus (Columnaris). This is a fast growing flesh eating bacteria that rapidly erodes the skin on the mouth, face and head and usually kills the fish within a few days to a week of first showing symptoms.

I would do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Wipe the inside of the glass down before doing the water change.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

Monitor the fish and post some pics. If it gets worse over the next 24-48 hours and spreads over the face, then you will need some anti-biotics to treat it with. If it doesn't get worse then it is probably bruising from bumping into something and it should heal up without any need to add medications, as long as the tank is clean.
I only have 2 angels,
I did a water change last week before i got em, and for some reason the website wont let me upload the pictures. Ive had this 40 gallon set up for a week now too planted with a few shrimp and its just one of the angels that has this problem. But i will start draining the water and cleaning gravel.

If the tank is newly set up (less than 4 weeks old), only feed the fish a couple of times a week and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding.

Do not clean the filter for the first 6 weeks because you can upset the beneficial filter bacteria that are growing there. After 6 weeks you can clean the filter at least once a month and every 2 weeks is better.

Monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels and do a 75% and gravel clean the substrate any day there is a reading.

---------------------
If the website is spitting the dummy and refusing the images, put them on an image hosting website and copy and paste the link here. We can go to the other website to view them.

I lowered the quality a bit so the image can upload Hopefully its not too bad to see its lips.
20181207_102514.jpg
20181207_102514.jpg
20181207_102514.jpg

It just looks like physical damage. Monitor it over the next week. It should be ok but if it gets worse and spreads over the face, post another pic asap and start looking for anti-biotics like Tetracycline.

Oh man thanks! I will. I do have melafix would you recommend it? If things get worse

You can try Melafix but I have never had any luck using it. I prefer to do big daily water changes and gravel clean the substrate and the fish usually heal themselves.

If you want to try Melafix, work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will absorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down, do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back