White stuff growing on my Bogwood

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dave

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I bought a cracking piece of bogwood at the weekend. Its about 2' long and 1/2' wide.

Ive washed it with boiling water and all that. And I noticed it doesn't sink so ive wedged it with rocks to keep it down. :D

Ive got it standing up in the tank so it pokes out of the water. looks quite cool :rolleyes: Ive also tied java fern to it which looks good.

Anyway I noticed this morning that some kind of white slime was growing on it. Anyone know what this could be? And most importantly is it still safe to have in the Tank?

Thanks for any help

exactly the same thing happened to me. I think it is some sort of fungus (it smells really bad too) I removed my bogwood and gave it a darn good scrubbing and a rinse in scalding hot water. That helped alot. The fungus did come back after about a week but it was far less vigorous. The week after I scrubbed and rinsed it again, and so far its been fungus free!
I think its harmless in small amounts.

hey if i remember right it is a fungus of some sort i cant remember the name. the best advice i can give is to boil and rinse boil and rinse because the wood can absor a lot of the water in the cleaning process which might fool you into thinking you got out all the yukkkkies! i dont know if it matters what type of fish you have in the tank orthe ph levels and such but maybe this has something to do with the production of the white stuff. sorry i couldnt be of more help :D

I'm sure phosphate levels have something to do with it.

Lef it on my bogwood and it went away after a few weeks on its own

I threw my first bit of bogwood out because it was covered in it (regret this now), just left it on my other bits and it went away after a while, no harm to fish or plants.

It is a fungus that is completely harmless to the fish, and as mentioned it goes away over time. It is from the wood itself, and has nothing to do with water parameters or conditions.

Thanks everyone. I took the wood out and gave it a hard scrub :flex:

Its back in the tank now (still wont sink though :sly: ) So if that fungas stuff come back Ill just leave it :)

thanks again

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back