White spots

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

aidan93

Reaction score
My l239 pleco has white spots all over his body. I think it could be ick? I noticed it yesterday that was the first time in the 3 weeks av had him av seen him out. A stuck potato in for him and he’s still eating swimming around just like normal. Thanks.

Yes this parasitic disease is called Ick or white spot. It is a common disease in freshwater fish, but fortunately treatment for it is usually available from pet and aquarium stores.

Can you post some pictures just to be sure? White specs all over a fish is a sure sign of ich but I would stay away from treating with meds. All ich meds need to be added to the main tank, which isn't a problem but most meds for ich contain formalin and M. green, both of which will kill your beneficial bacteria, leading to high levels of ammonia and nitrite.

The heat treatment is the way to go if you don't want to kill your cycle. Raise the temp up to about 88F, add an air stone to keep the water oxygenated and do some extra water changes/gravel vacs over the next couple of weeks. If the ich is being especially stubborn you can add some salt (non-iodized) as it should kill off any free swimming ich parasites.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back