White spots on Neons

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bkelly

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is white spot or fungus? I also have 2 guppies in the tank so could they be nipping at the neons? I haven't noticed it happening.

Attachments

• C392DE99-26A2-4994-8839-77EBC3E21041.jpeg
    C392DE99-26A2-4994-8839-77EBC3E21041.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 128
  • 4519BE2D-196D-453B-94BD-6F8B26800065.jpeg
    4519BE2D-196D-453B-94BD-6F8B26800065.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 108
  • F81B61AA-A5CB-4249-B0C6-CCDB942B393C.jpeg
    F81B61AA-A5CB-4249-B0C6-CCDB942B393C.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 5360FEC5-44B0-4C2F-9424-99A85A45FEC3.jpeg
    5360FEC5-44B0-4C2F-9424-99A85A45FEC3.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 121
On your 2nd photo I see white spots on the third tetra. It is most likely a white spot disease (ichthyophthiriasis) If one tetra has it the whole system does.

I would recommend getting some white spot treatment from your local fish shop.

Guppies aren't usually fin nippers. It wouldn't be them that made them get white spot.
~Karen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On your 2nd photo I see white spots on the third tetra. It is most likely a white spot disease (ichthyophthiriasis) If one tetra has it the whole system does.

I would recommend getting some white spot treatment from your local fish shop.

Guppies aren't usually fin nippers. It wouldn't be them that made them get white spot.
~Karen

I have to disagree. I think those spots are just some moss behind the fish. The only white I am seeing is on the edges of the fins. And yes, guppies do nip fins if they feel crowded, at least with each other. Also, some tetras (unsure about neons) have white tips to their fins. But I think there is some fun nipping. I dont know if you need medication really but you can do more water changes to make sure your water is pristine. Neons can be sensitive to the water parameters. And from what I've learned from this forum, is that really good clean water is the best medicine for any disease.

Also, how big is this tank? And how many neons do you have? Stress can cause then to be unhealthy as well.

I have to disagree. I think those spots are just some moss behind the fish. The only white I am seeing is on the edges of the fins. And yes, guppies do nip fins if they feel crowded, at least with each other. Also, some tetras (unsure about neons) have white tips to their fins. But I think there is some fun nipping. I dont know if you need medication really but you can do more water changes to make sure your water is pristine. Neons can be sensitive to the water parameters. And from what I've learned from this forum, is that really good clean water is the best medicine for any disease.

Also, how big is this tank? And how many neons do you have? Stress can cause then to be unhealthy as well.

7cde077a41ccb5a798402f05afafc3a5.jpg

Looks like white spot on tail.

7cde077a41ccb5a798402f05afafc3a5.jpg

Looks like white spot on tail.

Ah, I see now. Sorry! My phone didn't show it real big so I didn't see the spots on the tail. But I'm still not sure about the white on the fins and if that is normal for neons or not?

My goldfish had this many months ago. Since I was very new to owning fish, I took it too the petstore and they missed diagnosed him with ich. It was strange since like he didn't have white spots all over him?? They gave me medicine to use and it made him worse. Thankfully I found out what it was and apparently it was a problem with water quality. (( I left him be and did many water changes.)) So, I'd check the water quality if I were you. :) Don't make the same mistake I did. lol

Last edited:
I would agree, don't start dumping in medications here. Clean water and avoiding stress will allow the fish to fight off ich (if it is, and it might be). Increase the volume of the weekly water change (50-60% of the tank volume). How many neons do you have together?

I'm going to have to agree with that, it looks like ich but don't put medication in straight away. Do daily water changes and if nothing happens in a week or so i would then put the medication in.
~Karen

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back