White Spot or not?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cocoa19

Reaction score
hey guys so I just noticed thismorning I noticed one of my Platys and Tetras have single white spots on tail, I am currently treating my brothers tank for white spot but have made sure not to contaminate anything by using separate things and washing hands and arms thoroughly.

Attachments

• 20170702_090033.jpg
    20170702_090033.jpg
    694.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Snapchat-601104952.jpg
    Snapchat-601104952.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 82
I would not rush into any treatment yet, just monitor over the next several days. Fish are often able to fight off ich, unless they are stressed. So, no excitement in or around the tank, clean water, quiet. If no other spots appear, and these disappear, you're fine. If more spots appear, you may need to take action, but not if just one, or two.

I just did a water change yesterday and had added 3 new Molly's to the tank. My brothers tank tho that has got white spot we are struggling to fight off them so we gonna try a new way cause aquarium salt isn't helping now they just getting worse -.-

I just did a water change yesterday and had added 3 new Molly's to the tank. My brothers tank tho that has got white spot we are struggling to fight off them so we gonna try a new way cause aquarium salt isn't helping now they just getting worse -.-

Heat (raising the temperature) and aquarium salt is usually the most effective and safest way of dealing with serious ich. Most (but not all) fish can handle both. Raising the temp to around 30C/86F and adding 2 grams of salt per liter of actual water in the aquarium (you have to calculate for displaced water by substrate and decor). One level teaspoon of salt is roughly 6 grams. Dissolve it completely in a jar of water before adding it to the aquarium, never add salt crystals, and do it gradually over a couple hours.

Heat (raising the temperature) and aquarium salt is usually the most effective and safest way of dealing with serious ich. Most (but not all) fish can handle both. Raising the temp to around 30C/86F and adding 2 grams of salt per liter of actual water in the aquarium (you have to calculate for displaced water by substrate and decor). One level teaspoon of salt is roughly 6 grams. Dissolve it completely in a jar of water before adding it to the aquarium, never add salt crystals, and do it gradually over a couple hours.
My Platy and Tetras spots have gone thankfully :) my brothers one is still really bad tho it's been about a week and got told to up the amount of salt put in and had to buy a 2nd heater for his tank to help get the temp up to 30 but still sits at about 28, but they are still getting worse over better sadly. Started with the black one and then the yellow one got it a few days later but his other Molly got 3 spots but they've gone these 2 don't seem to improve but are still happy fish so we are going to wait a couple more days to see if they get better otherwise gonna use some white spot medicine we bought and hope that helps

Attachments

• 20170701_172838.jpg
    20170701_172838.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
  • 20170701_095949.jpg
    20170701_095949.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
My Platy and Tetras spots have gone thankfully :) my brothers one is still really bad tho it's been about a week and got told to up the amount of salt put in and had to buy a 2nd heater for his tank to help get the temp up to 30 but still sits at about 28, but they are still getting worse over better sadly. Started with the black one and then the yellow one got it a few days later but his other Molly got 3 spots but they've gone these 2 don't seem to improve but are still happy fish so we are going to wait a couple more days to see if they get better otherwise gonna use some white spot medicine we bought and hope that helps

Never use more than one treatment at a time. Medications can interact and make things much worse, plus at the very least they are stressful, and stress is the cause of ich and most other fish disease.

Salt and heat is pretty much the safest and best remedy for ich (or velvet). Get the temp up to 30C/86F minimum, and use salt as I previously mentioned. Be careful not to overdose. Maintain this for two full weeks. Any water changed during that period (and there should be at least the regular weekly water change) needs more salt added, but only for the amount of water replaced. Salt remains in the water until the water is removed.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back