Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

White/Grey Fluff

Discussion in 'Algae Removal' started by Callum C, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Callum C

Callum C New Member

This is a farely new tropical aquarium that has been setup for about 3 weeks, the tank itself has been around for about half a year not been used until now and I noticed a white/grey fluff forming on the ornament shown, a little on the other ornaments too. There are no fish or no food that have been put into the tank. It's a 64 litre tank, I haven't tested it with test strips. I will try and give more information if needed. Thanks for the help.
    IMG_20170613_151226.jpg IMG_20170613_151241.jpg

2. atlas101

atlas101 Member

I get something similar to this whenever I set up a new tank, on any wood or any silicone/ plastic fittings. Still not sure exactly what it is, but from what I have read people tend to think it's related to the initial bacterial bloom rather than an algae.

I have recently had to treat for ich for a new fish I bought, I used the method of upping the temp to 30c and adding 1 tablespoon salt per 5 gallons water, which coincidentally made all the white fuzzy stuff turn brown and die off within 3-4 days, but even without salt it does die off eventually and fish&shrimp will generally eat it all once you get round to adding them.

3. Callum C

Callum C New Member

Ah okay, Thanks for the tip