White Film?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LatexRevolver

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I just did a 25% water change on my tank, which after refilling the tank levels, the water is higher than it was before. I noticed almost immediately there's this oily film forming on the surface. The fish don't seem to mind it, but I'm unsure what it could be or why it showed up just now.

Do you have a filter? If you have a filter, does it agitate the water? This is just biofilm which is bacteria trying to colonize on your water surface. 110% safe, actually a good thing :) 

Ah. Okay, that would make sense then. I do have a filter and yes it agitates the water, but since I did a water change, the water level is higher than it used to be so it doesn't do it as much.

My fish seem to enjoy trying to eat it, and the oxygen bubbles that float up to the top get caught on it.

All you do is remove the oil with kitchen paper. Just float on top of tank and then remove.
It soon disappears anyway. Its just the grease from the food.

A white film can mean a bacterial bloom when a tank is cycling.
The tank water will look cloudy.

The water did look a bit cloudy too. It seems to have all cleared  up now though and my fish are actively nibbling on the plants, so there's probably bacteria growing now.

That's fine.
good.gif

As has been mentioned, generally there is no danger from a surface film or slightly cloudy water when this latter is a bacterial bloom caused by a water change or cleaning the filter.  When occurring following a water change, it might also be sediment in the tap water which can vary from season to season depending upon the weather and the source of the water.

With the surface scum, you do want to keep it down, as it can thicken and prevent the necessary gas exchange (oxygen/carbon dioxide) at the surface.  I find the easiest way to remove it is to invert the water changer and hold it just at the surface so it sucks out the water with the scum.  There are two types of surface film, a protein bio-film caused by organics, poor water circulation (primarily at the surface) and maybe low CO2; this is somewhat greenish in appearance and doesn't break up if you put your finger in it.  The whitish film which will break apart with your finger is an iron bacteria film and more surface movement usually deals with this easily.

Byron.

Thank you again. I believe it was bacteria. It's cleared up now along with the 'cloudy' appearance of my water and my fish enjoyed trying to eat it. I've also noticed that when I feed my fish frozen food, they seem to enjoy it more because it sinks and they have to go chase it.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes only just noticed. Need to get some better glasses in my old age.

WILDER said:
Sorry for the spelling mistakes only just noticed. Need to get some better glasses in my old age.

Saw the spelling mistake and now done
wink.png

Thanks Ch4rlie.
good.gif

WILDER said:
All you do is remove the oil with kitchen paper. Just float on top of tank and then remove.
It soon disappears anyway. Its just the grease from the food.

A white film can mean a bacterial bloom when a tank is cycling.
The tank water will look cloudy.
+1 for the kitchen paper method, works a treat, especially on dog/cat hair that seems to get in my tank.

i have actually used plain A4 paper for this as well, it works too.

Though kitchen paper works much faster.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back