White Crusty Build Up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

newhobby

Reaction score
I keep getting a white crusty flaky buildup on the lid of my aquarium. What is causing this and how do i stop it from happening everytime after i clean the tank.
Also is it harmful if some of it falls into the tank.

I keep getting a white crusty flaky buildup on the lid of my aquarium. What is causing this and how do i stop it from happening everytime after i clean the tank.
Also is it harmful if some of it falls into the tank.

Are you using aquarium salt? It doesn't eveporate but if some water splashes it will leave a salty residue.

Yes I do use aquarium salt when i do a water change. So it's just from the water splashing out of the tank?

It's referred to as salt creep, but it could also be hard water deposits. You don't need to use aquarium salt during waterchanges. Freshwater fish do not like salt. If you were keeping a brackish tank you would use marine salt, not aquarium salt.

It might be limesale if you are in a hard water area - just scrape it off.

Yeah, I have a little of that on my tank lids, I live in an area with hard water. Its lime buildup, I have not found a completely effective way of removing it. Warm water and a towel will get most of it off.

If you keep on top of it it's not too bad to get off. If you let it be for a while or let it build up for too long then it's alot harder to remove.

Yeah, I have a little of that on my tank lids, I live in an area with hard water. Its lime buildup, I have not found a completely effective way of removing it. Warm water and a towel will get most of it off.

Vinegar is the best way to get rid of it, just make sure you rinse it really well before it goes back on the tank. I had trouble with lime buildup on the perspex cover to my lighting, whatever i tried i couldnt get it all off. 5mins with vinegar a cloth and a bit of elbow grease it was sorted.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back