White/clear, Jelly-Like Substance On Heater And Suction Cups?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

YouBelongToMe

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 5-6 litre bowl that I keep my betta in and a few weeks ago I bought a heater for him. However, just today I noticed this white/clear substance covering the heater and the suction cups, its also on the resting leaf suction cup that I keep in there for him and I just wasn't sure if it was harmful or not. He seems fine and like his normal self but because I only just noticed it I wasn't sure how long its been there for. When I swiped some off and rubbed it between my fingers it appeared kind of like jelly. I do try and do weekly cleanings and I do test for ammonia. If anyone knows what it is and if its harmful or not that would be great. Also if its harmful, how I stop it from coming back. I never got this stuff when I didn't have the heater in there. Here are some pictures and thanks in advance!:
IMG_0310_zpsc263b84d.jpg
IMG_0311_zpsda5b2b77.jpg

I've never really found out what that gunk is, but it is very common in new set-ups, and goes away on its own. Presumably it's something to do with the increased temperature, since it only appeared when you added the heater - that's something new I've learnt today!

Good job that you got the heater, they are tropical fish, and need warmer water. But like Ninjouzata said, 6 litres is a bit small for him. If space is limited, then a 20l tank will do him fine.

Yeah, i don't really know what that stuff is either, i had some in my tank and I simply took it out with tweezers, comes out in one go and is a sort of jelly like substance.

Did not do any harm at all and never came back.

Also, snail egg is like a jelly like substance as well but you would see tiny little bubbles/sacs so thats a difference.

+1 on recommendations to get your betta a bigger tank, minimum 5 US Gals/20 litres will make your betta so mach happier and swim around a bit more freely showing off beautiful fins 
smile.png

Most reactions

trending

Back