Whit spots on fins

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kbags

Reaction score
When I looked at my fish this morning, I noticed he had some white spots on his fins that where not there before. Does this look like fin rot? I'm not sure what type of fish it is. I was told its a swordtail when I bought it, but I don't think it is. I have him in a 20 gallon aquarium with some guppies and Tetras. Is it possible the other fish are nipping at him? I have only had the tank for about 3 weeks.

Attachments

• Image-1 (2).png
    Image-1 (2).png
    401.9 KB · Views: 95
  • fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 98
I don't know much about sick fish, but he's got a fungus of some sort. Probably fin rot or ich. I would put him in an isolation tank and do like a 25-50% water change on your tank. Treat him with melafix and pimafix, I've had success with this. You can find them at your local pet store. Do complete water change on him every day or any time the water is cloudy.

Hope this helps and good luck ☺

I would not use medications. I do it the natural way by raising the temperature slightly and doing 25 percent water changes every day. If this does not work, then you can start using medications. Most fish diseases are caused by dirty water, so why can't we just reverse that instead of using the artificial way. Make sure to also clean the gravel.

Probably fin rot or ich. I would put him in an isolation tank and do like a 25-50% water change on your tank
If it is Ich then separating the fish is pointless, the whole tank and every fish in it needs to be treated.

How big is the tank?
How long has it been set up?
Is it cycled?
What type of filter has it got?
Has it got a heater?
Whats the water temp?
How often do you change water?
How much do you change?
What water conditioner do you use?
What other fish are in the tank?
What do you feed them?
How much do you feed them and how often?

I do it the natural way by raising the temperature slightly
Slightly means nothing, sorry. When giving advice about adding medication or adjusting heat please be specific

When using heat to treat Ich you need to raise the water temp to 30 deg c and keep it there for 4 days, you should see results in 12 to 18 hours if you dont then some salt can be added

Members.
When giving advice about adding medication or adjusting heat please be specific, Right now I am dealing with a member who has a 2.5 gallon tank and she has been adding too much salt to it.

She was instructed to add 2.5 tsp of salt to the tank but what the person helping her forgot to mention is that you dont add 2.5 tsp at every water change.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back