Which shrimp?!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dantheman1

Reaction score
Hi,

I got 3 Amano shrimp to help clean up in my tank. They're just too hyper and are scaring my fish. Which other shrimp could I replace them with (preferably ones that won't breed).

Thanks,
Dan

My Amano shrimp did that for the first couple of days and I had good sized fish. (Female black skirt tetra). Most of the time when you have fish with shrimp, the shrimp eggs never end up surviving because of the fish. Shrimp babies basically hatch out as planktonic organisms that float around the tank eating microorganisms. The chances that the shrimp survive the planktonic stage of their life is very rare, especially with fish. I'm not sure what fish you have with them because they definitely would not be happy if you had them with large cichlids. Just give them some time to get used to their new environment and they should settle down.

I would recommend putting more information.
What fish do you have?
How big is you tank?
What are the water parameters?

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

It is a 40 litre tank. I have 8 Cardinal tetras and 1 Fighter. I also have live plants.

I do weekly 15% water changes and use 50% RO water and 50% tap as the water here is hard.

Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = can’t be read on chart as they are so low

Tank was fishless cycled to 4ppm before anything was added.

Please do be honest if this seems overstocked, however on the whole the fish seem very happy. Swimming around the whole tank. Exploring everywhere within. They feed well too. They don’t shy away when I approach anymore. The fighter is doing great with the Cardinals, seems to be no problems whatsoever.

Thanks,
Dan

This tank does seem a little overstocked. I think the Amano shrimp are pushing it to the limit. Keep in mind that Amano shrimp end up growing to 1 or 2 inches. If you have three Amano shrimp, that's 6 inches of shrimp in you tank plus the fish. If you want an alternative to Amano shrimp, I would try cherry shrimp.
Can you post a picture of your tank?

Thanks for your honesty. As someone who is new to the hobby I do appreciate it.

Is it worth giving the Amano Shrimp back and not getting any shrimp? 8 Cardinals and a Betta only? Is that reasonable or still overstocked?

Pics attached. 1st pic is before the live plants went in.

Dan

Attachments

• 6E59F6C4-A99C-4024-B245-65F14FF32D9A.jpeg
    6E59F6C4-A99C-4024-B245-65F14FF32D9A.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 88F96FB4-74F5-411D-AA87-2AF9E67F83DD.jpeg
    88F96FB4-74F5-411D-AA87-2AF9E67F83DD.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 35368AE2-8AC9-4C8E-996F-3F82E704E1DE.jpeg
    35368AE2-8AC9-4C8E-996F-3F82E704E1DE.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 149
the tank looks nice! The fish seem to be doing well in there. If the shrimp don't calm down in a a week or so, you could replace them with red cherry shrimp. They only get to be about half an inch.

To be honest, they have already calmed down a lot today. They’re just sitting on the bogwood and and on the plants. Nowhere near as much movement as yesterday.

I think I will still replace them with red cherry shrimp however. What is a suitable number?

I will do this if you can confidently say I won’t end up with 20 shrimp in a months time!

Thanks
Dan

It is not a given that no baby shrimp will survive. You do have a filter I assume and most of the babies will get sucked up in there. You do have 8 cardinals so they will probably eat all of them. I would try it. I have never had any baby shrimp survive.

Most of the time when you have fish with shrimp, the shrimp eggs never end up surviving because of the fish. Shrimp babies basically hatch out as planktonic organisms that float around the tank eating microorganisms. The chances that the shrimp survive the planktonic stage of their life is very rare, especially with fish.

This doesn't apply to all shrimps. Those like cherry and crystal shrimps hatch into miniature adults. If there are plenty of hiding places the babies will thrive. I have a colony of red cherry shrimps in my 180 litre tank and while the fish may eat some baby shrimps they do not eat all of them. I have shrimps in my tank ranging from newly hatched babies through juveniles to adults.
The eggs of amanos do hatch into a planktonic form, but as these larvae need salt water they don't survive in our freshwater tanks.

The main problems with that tank stocking are mixing a betta with cardinal tetras, and that cardinals need a tank at least 60 cm (24 inches) long. Bettas are not good community fish and should be kept alone. A 40 litre tank is perfect for just the betta. And a betta will eat, or at least try to eat, most shrimps.
In a bigger tank, cardinals and red cherry shrimps would be fine together.

Hi @essjay. Many thanks for your response.

I fear I have overstocked, and I now regret it. Not because of the work involved, but for the wellbeing of the fish. The cardinals are generally quite relaxed, not very active swimmers. At night, when the lights go out, they become active for 20 mins or so but otherwise they're very relaxed. They love exploring, as does my Betta. Everyone seems happy, but I guess this is hard to gauge. The Betta and Cardinals don't bother each other and surprisingly the Cardinals aren't even scared when near the Betta. Luckily he is a very chilled Betta!

What would you recommend I do as upgrading tank size isn't really an option.

8 Cardinal Tetras, 1 Betta, 3 Amano Shrimp.

One option would be to get another, smaller tank of around 20 to 25 litres for the betta. Things may be OK now but bettas have been known to snap and go on a killing spree.

I would not get small shrimps like cherries to go in with amanos as amanos are so much bigger and could intimidate the smaller cherries. Two or three more amanos would be OK though.

Hi,

I got 3 Amano shrimp to help clean up in my tank. They're just too hyper and are scaring my fish. Which other shrimp could I replace them with (preferably ones that won't breed).

Thanks,
Dan
Ever though of ghost shrimp ?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I agree with essjay on the stocking and the shrimp.
I'd stick with either one or the other of your fish: the cardinals or the beta and then add (or keep) shrimp.

The beta might seem fine now but it most likely will not stay that way.
And "seeming" fine and actually being fine are very different where the fish are concerned. Most likely the two different species are very stressed out in the presence of each other. While they might not be fighting they could be suffering as stress will wreak havoc on their systems.

Amano shrimp are fantastic workers and fun to have but I'd say don't add more as they get quite large.
I have one in my 6 gallon with ember tetra and he's huge. He's two years old and grown over two inches. I had no idea when I got him, but I love him. He's never bothered a fish and vice versa.
I do have a few other male neocardinia also for a little color and they too are also wonderful.

Your tank looks really nice and has lots of hiding places and fun stuff for shrimp.
If you do add a few cherry or other neos. You're fish would most likely keep the population in check (somewhat) eating the babies but there will definitely be survivors.

So, my advice...pick the fish species you'd like to keep and get another small tank for the other (if you don't want to return them to the shop).

Hi

Nice tank

That tank is perfect for the Betta and the shrimp, I would rehouse the Tetras.

You do have a filter I assume and most of the babies will get sucked up in there.
There are ways to prevent that.

You can use a sponge filter. 100% shrimp safe
SKU073428%20(10).jpg

You can use a pre filter sponge on canister and HOB filters, 100% Shrimp safe.
pre-filter-sponge-shrimps-protection-sponge-algaefarmer-1501-17-Algaefarmer@1.jpg

Stainless steel Aquarium Fish Tank Shrimp Flow Guard, 100% shrimp safe.

HTB1CASKHFXXXXaMXFXXq6xXFXXXA.jpg

Thanks for everyones replies. Right, here in my solution... How does it sound?

My current 40 litre tank to house my male betta and 3 amano shrimp. Can I add anything else?

My friend has a spare 46 litre fluval edge. Transfer my tetras into here or too small for them?

Thanks,
Dan

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back