Which Kind Of Snail To Get?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

slimeneo

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've got an algae problem in my tank, it's not completely overrun with algae, but it's very unsightly and difficult to remove from the glass, gravel and plants.

I've done research on the nerite, MTS and mystery snail... only problem with MTS is that it reproduces quickly in freshwater, while nerite does not (but mystery snail does??)

I just need a snail that
1) eats algae!
2) does NOT eat healthy plants, but eats dead leaves

I'm not sure if I can find nerites at my LFS... so if not, will mystery snails be ok to do the job? I know my LFS has mystery snails. One other concern is if they will try to escape my open topped tank. Thanks! :)

(amano shrimp. Eat almost all algaes, sturdier than cherries, and don't reproduce in freshwater) :nod: :)

(amano shrimp. Eat almost all algaes, sturdier than cherries, and don't reproduce in freshwater) :nod: :)

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Will they be ok in my tank because it's pretty much fully stocked? and... will they need to be fed other than algae, maybe like algae wafers? or.. do they eat fish flakes too :D

They poop a lot for a little shrimp, but they add little to nothing to the bioload.
They will mostly dine on algae, but will eat everything and anything that hits the bottom.
When there is no algae, you can feed them algae wafers, bottom feeder pellets, cooked vegetables like zuchini or peas, frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and commerical fish flakes or pellets :good:
They like to be in groups, I had two that never came out, the second two more where put in, they are now always out and about

They poop a lot for a little shrimp, but they add little to nothing to the bioload.
They will mostly dine on algae, but will eat everything and anything that hits the bottom.
When they're is no algae, you can feed them algae wafers, bottom feeder pellets, cooked vegetables like zuchini or peas, frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and commerical fish flakes or pellets :good:
They like to be in groups, I had two that never came out, the second two more where put in, they are now always out and about

Will they eat platy fry? I'm still leaning towards snails though. They're smaller and don't need to be in groups :lol: ... and I think they're cuter. I just wish they wouldn't try to escape!

When they're is no algae, you can feed them algae wafers, bottom feeder pellets, cooked vegetables like zuchini or peas, frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and commerical fish flakes or pellets :good:

Will they eat platy fry? I'm still leaning towards snails though. They're smaller and don't need to be in groups :lol: ... and I think they're cuter. I just wish they wouldn't try to escape!

Being scavengers, no amano or cherry shrimp will activley hunt or eat fish fry. Unless they fry died, and sank to the bottom, then yes, they will eat them.

It's all up to personal preference. I personally hate all snails except assasin snails (which are actually whelks!), so that's why I'd go with shrimp :good:

Being scavengers, no amano or cherry shrimp will activley hunt or eat fish fry. Unless they fry died, and sank to the bottom, then yes, they will eat them.

It's all up to personal preference. I personally hate all snails except assasin snails (which are actually whelks!), so that's why I'd go with shrimp :good:

I just don't want to overcrowd my tank. I used to think snails were unattractive but after doing research on them they're pretty interesting :lol: Why do you hate snails?! I'll definitely think about getting shrimp. AH so many choices!

I just don't want to overcrowd my tank. I used to think snails were unattractive but after doing research on them they're pretty interesting :lol: Why do you hate snails?! I'll definitely think about getting shrimp. AH so many choices!

Because I have too many :grr:
I think you should go with snails. You said you had algae on the glass, and shrimp won't usually go after glass algae unless starving.

Because I have too many :grr:
I think you should go with snails. You said you had algae on the glass, and shrimp won't usually go after glass algae unless starving.

yep, now I just need to figure out which kind! I think I'll go with netrites, but if I can't find any I'll settle with mystery snails. :good: Any idea where to find netrites? :/

Just did a quick search and good ole ebay to the rescue, check out this link

http://www.ebay.com/...w=nerite+snails

Also found this site

http://www.azgardens.com/c-20-freshwater-aquatic-snails.aspx

Otherwise you could ask your LFS if they can order in fresh water nerite snails - there are some nice African species.

You could look at places like Gumtree or other online pet classifieds.
I recently got some Australian native nerites and even though they are in an open topped tank they seem happy to remain in the tank and not go wondering off. And once the nerite(s) run out of algea to munch you can always suppliment their food with sushi Nori sheets :good: .

Just have to share a couple of pictures of my nerites
P1070851.jpg

And yep there are also dreaded MTS lurking in the tank too.

P1070795.jpg

P1070496.jpg

I also have some of these little gems another native to Australia but it probably has relations in Asia.
P1060345.jpg

The above snail often spends its time in the substrate but will also feed on the glass.

Usually I am with Crossfire in the "kill all snails"stakes but lately I have been selectively getting nonpest types and adding them to my tanks in the hope of slowly starving out the pest snails such as MTS, Pond/ bladder snails and rams horns. I dont have the option of assisin snails, since they are not allowed into Australia.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back