Which fish should I buy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishrobot

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to ask if someone could recommend if I should buy a honey gourami or a Betta which I plan on having in a 105 litre tank with corydoras and possibly ember tetras.
Thank you

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

First thing...male bettas are not community fish; they should always be on their own (substrate fish can usually but not always work, but never upper fish). Some may claim this will work, but that is not the norm for the species; and it may not last long anyway before either the Betta decides his space is sacrosanct, or the other fish decide it would be fun to nip the Betta periodically. Risking fish just to please our thinking is not recommended.

Honey Gourami can work; a trio (one male and two females) might be better than a lone fish, but that is up to you.

Thank You! This helps a lot and I will take what you say into consideration but I would just like to ask if the Honey Gouramis will breed because I've heard that the male becomes aggressive?

Thank You! This helps a lot and I will take what you say into consideration but I would just like to ask if the Honey Gouramis will breed because I've heard that the male becomes aggressive?

With a male and female(s), yes, the gourami will likely breed. Males of all gourami species are territorial, some species more so than others. Much like cichlids. And if the fish decide to spawn, territoriality may certainly increase aggression to protect the eggs in the bubblenest. Here's detail from SF:

The male collects the eggs and transports them to the nest. Several more spawnings occur and when there are no more eggs the female is chased away. It is best to remove her at this point. The male then tends to the nest until the eggs hatch, usually in around 24-36 hours. The male can then also be removed. The fry become free swimming in another 24-48 hours and are very small.​

It is totally possible for a betta to be in a community tank quite a few people actually do it including myself but it is a gamble if you do not know the temperment of the betta so if you do not have another tank to separate it if it is aggresive do not attempt it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back