Which fish in 20 gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Some general comments as there seems to be a misunderstanding about fish requirements.

Fish are living creatures. Each species of freshwater fish has evolved over thousands of years to function in a very specific environment. Environment here means the water parameters (because freshwater, unlike marine or ocean water, is very different depending upon where it occurs), habitat features (substrate, wood, rock), light, and water flow. The physiology of the fish requires these environmental factors, and when any of them are different from what the fish requires, the fish has a more difficult time functioning. The fish may still live, but with considerable effort. This causes stress, and stress is the root cause of 95% of fish disease. It also weakens the fish, and the metabolism is affected.

Surviving in less than ideal conditions is not at all the same as thriving in what nature intended. The aim of all of us as aquarists should be to provide the closest reproduction of the natural environment/habitat for the fish we keep in aquaria. If this is not our aim, we have no business being in this hobby, because not doing this is outright cruelty to the fish.

The extent to which a species can adapt to different conditions is very limited. One does not and cannot change the physiology of a species. The needs are built in to the physical structure of the fish, and programmed into the DNA for that species.

So it CAN work but isn't good for them?

Yes. Its not good for them... and they will die prematurely because of it. So, it 'works' for a while, at least as we can see from the external view, but their bodies are working extra hard to maintain the stasis they require, and as a result they die prematurely of a secondary issue.

Mollies, for example, kept in softer water than they require, generally suffer from something known as 'shimmy'.

Ok so I finally had time to look at the website and the water ph is 8.2 and is medium hard. I'm pretty sure all the fish I mentioned are soft water fish. Any recommendations on different fish I should consider

Ok so I finally had time to look at the website and the water ph is 8.2 and is medium hard. I'm pretty sure all the fish I mentioned are soft water fish. Any recommendations on different fish I should consider

I suggest you first pin down exactly what they mean by "medium hard." I have seen other threads where the water was said to be medium hard, and even hard, and when we finally got the actual GH it was quite the opposite, soft. Check the website of the water authority, or call them. Just make sure you get the number and their unit of measure (mg/l, ppm, dH, etc).

The website said 120ppm.

OK, so 120 ppm equates to 6.7 (call it 7) dGH. To me this is soft. Question now is, why is the pH at 8.2? Are they adding anything to the water to raise pH? Areas with soft water do sometimes do this.

I don't know I just found out that that report was from about 5 years ago so the ph is about 7.2 now and I'm still not sure of the hardness but i would assume it's the same.

I don't know I just found out that that report was from about 5 years ago so the ph is about 7.2 now and I'm still not sure of the hardness but i would assume it's the same.

Stay with soft water fish species as previously mentioned and you should be OK.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back