5 x Pygmy
3 x Leopard (trilineatus)
1 x Bronce
3 x Albino

Another 60L tank has:
4 x Peppered
2 x Bronce

smile.png

My venezueans have spawned!!!! I moved them to my fry tank, and a little over a week later, they've finally lad eggs... scattered them all over the tank :yahoo:

Can you take them out as they may eat the eggs? mine laid over 100 eggs yesterday, this morning there were only a couple of eggs left

Normally i do isolate the eggs but this time i wanted to see what would happen and curiously enough, they didn't touch a single egg!

RCA said:
Adolfo - stunning
Albino - and yes crazy
hehe.gif

Pandas - so cute and busy
Peppered - my oldest, plus some newbies added recently
Robinae - big and flighty

Plan to get six of each of the Black Venezuela and Orange Lazer for my new project (once it is mature of course).

UPDATE: I now have x7 Black Venezuela (I think 
Dunno.gif
 ), a steal at £5.99 each.  They are now living in my Juwel 180 spending all their time at the front on the sand.  Not sure if they have figured out there is another section yet 
59.gif
 or just prefer the sand.  It will be interesting to see over time the behaviour of the Cory's in this split substrate.  They are so cute, often burying themselves in the sand, when they then come up for food it looks like they have white spot, until the sand comes off them.  I will post a picture in the Juwel Vision topic in due course.

I also have x 10 Pygmaeus Corydoras currently in Quarantine.

On order, arriving this week (hopefully) are:
x 6 Orange Lazers
x 5 Adolfi - I currently have only one of these as sadly 3 died within a day of each other when I first got them 
rip.gif
  They went into a mature tank which had successfully housed other Cory's but alas I think they may have been wild caught and did not make it through shipping etc 
Dunno.gif
  My single Adolfi concerned me recently as she was getting larger and larger and I thought she may be moving towards the dreaded dropsy, alas no she started laying eggs 
yahoo.gif
  She is currently housed with 3 Pandas, so not really sure that the eggs were fertilized.  I managed to save one but I do not see anything happening so I am sure it is not fertilized.  Of course, following quarantine of the new Corys, she will be moved to join them, here is hoping I then get some little Adolfi's in time.

I have copied in the previous posts re: the black Venezuelans below
As stated above pictures to follow shortly

Lilfishy said:
Solid Black schultzei & solid black Venezuelans are the same fish according to a heated debate on Planet catfish, true black Venezuelans are not solid black
I find my blacks very laid back & gentle in their movements, the lasers are more active & scoot round the bottom all day long.
Weitzmani are goldish & black, I'm thinking of changing to a darker substrate for them as they seem quite pale on light sand.
Most of mine are only just coming up to breeding age now, though my trilineatus have bred recently.
My Duplicareus are showing signs they might breed soon, they're almost the same as adolfoi but larger with a more defined black stripe

snazy said:

Solid Black schultzei & solid black Venezuelans are the same fish according to a heated debate on Planet catfish, true black Venezuelans are not solid black

Black Shultzei have been also called Black aeneus from Venezuela due to confusion in the markings but these are not the same as corydoras Venezuelans, which aren't even black but have a green and rusty orange patches.  Black shultzei or whatever they are called, are line bred fish by humans from normal shultzei.
The name "corydoras venezuelanus black" is another wrong name given to black shultzei/black aeneus from Venezuela, but they aren't from Venezuela 
smile.png
 and aren't corydoras venezuelans.

Please read the reasoning from Ian Fuller's:
"Corydoras venezuelanus was first described by Ihering in 1911, but Nijssen & Isbruecker, 1980b placed it in synonymy with Corydoras aeneus.Those of us that have kept and bred this species will know that their decision was wrong, but having said that we have the distinct advantage of working with live fishes."

And a further clarification by Hans-Georg Evers.

"I knew the guy who "created" the "black aeneus". His name was Hartmut
Eberhardt. He lived in Weimar and was a dear friend of Dr. Hanns-
Joachim Franke. Both were my friends and both are already dead and it
seems, that some storys need to be retold. Hartmut had the very first
black aeneus amongst his thousands of normally coloured ones of the
"schultzei-type". The black ones have orange fins in the first months
of their life and so does one type of aeneus from Venezuela. This type
lives in the Llanos of Venezuela and also Colombia and is regularly
being imported. When they darken their body colouration (stress,
light, etc.) they resemble the black youngsters and this might have
lead to the name Black aeneus from Venezuela."

5,  Pepperd (1 long fin)
6,  Black Venezuela
6,  Corydoras agassizii

I have 7 Cories
1 Bronze
1 Panda
1 Sterbai
2 Peppered 
2 Albino
The 3 who have different species as the others tend to stick together, which is great because it means they aren't lonely.
My fav is my sterbai, his pattern is so beautiful..1 of my albinos is absolutely massive.
biggrin.png

The tank is only a 5 gal chi right now, but they'll be moving to a 10 gal this week.
Here's some pictures 

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:72216]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:72217]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:72218]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:72210]
Many.jpg

This is my fav, he's so preeeetty 
wub.png

sterbai face.jpg
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:72219]

I have 3 Swartzi corys and I think they have an awesome look to them and are very active.

Attachments

• swartzi small.jpg
    swartzi small.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 295
This Old Spouse said:
I like the little moustaches on the habrosus. 
My Sterbai has 2 dark barbels that makes him look like a french chef..
RCA said:

I find my blacks very laid back & gentle in their movements, the lasers are more active & scoot round the bottom all day long.
Weitzmani are goldish & black, I'm thinking of changing to a darker substrate for them as they seem quite pale on light sand.
Most of mine are only just coming up to breeding age now, though my trilineatus have bred recently.
My Duplicareus are showing signs they might breed soon, they're almost the same as adolfoi but larger with a more defined black stripe

Thanks for the info, Lilfishy, seems like the two species I am planning will complement each other very well.
Are Duplicareus more readily available generally speaking, and thus maybe a little cheaper?

Where are you located?  It is handy to have in your profile as different countries have different stock, meds etc.

Fish Herder, I see you have a betta in your profile pic.. Do you have corydoras with the betta? If you do, does he attack them?
I really wanna get a betta but I don't want my corys getting hurt :(

Chantelle-92 said:

Thanks for the info, Lilfishy, seems like the two species I am planning will complement each other very well.
Are Duplicareus more readily available generally speaking, and thus maybe a little cheaper?

Where are you located?  It is handy to have in your profile as different countries have different stock, meds etc.

Fish Herder, I see you have a betta in your profile pic.. Do you have corydoras with the betta? If you do, does he attack them?
I really wanna get a betta but I don't want my corys getting hurt
sad.png

Hi, my profile name is RCA - "Fish Herder" is what the TFF calls you when you get so many posts :)

I keep Corys with my Bettas and they are fine as predominantly the Betta lives in the top section and the Corys at the bottom.  Of course each Betta is different and nothing can be guaranteed.  I have a number of Corys in with my female Bettas and they have never bothered them.  Just make sure you have plenty of cover just in case.

I would double check they are nanus before you buy them, they come from the Suriname & there's been no collecting from there for a long time because it's too dangerous

My Favs Have to be these guys, have had them for a little bit of time, and man, what characters! (sorry for the bad quality)

IMG_20140117_143431.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back