Where Can I Get Pear Or Apple Tree Branches?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

xxBarneyxx

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where I can get pear or apple tree branches from?

Are pear and apple trees regularly cut back or not?

The reason I ask is I want to make "toys" for degus but most wood is not very safe for them. Not sure where I could get a fairly large supply of apple or pear tree wood from though.

Have you tried asking some fruit farms? I remember seeing lots of apple/pear farms along the M2.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Not sure if apple/pear trees are ever trimmed/cut back though and if they are if it would be this time of the year it is done. Think I will take a drive out over the weekend though and ask about as there are lots of farms around where we live.

I think they get cut back during winter (after all fruits have been harvested) to encourage new shoots for next years fruits. Good luck finding some :)

Hi, I have Degus too :good: You're right about wanting apple wood...they love it!! I'm lucky enough to have my own apple tree and I just saw a branch off randomly and let it dry out before giving it to them...have a look here for things you can and cannot give them.....

http://www.degutopia.co.uk/deguenrich.htm

What do you have? Boys or girls? I have 3 boys....did have 4, but lost my old rescue boy Sam a while back aged 9 :hyper:

Lisa x

I think they get cut back during winter (after all fruits have been harvested) to encourage new shoots for next years fruits. Good luck finding some :)

This is true; they normally get cut back after the fruiting. Some years they will be cut back a lot; other years they will be trimmed. I have an apple and a pear tree in my garden; if they were bigger I'd offer you some wood (my dad severly over-pruned them ages ago and they are still suffering).

Thanks for the replies all :)

Lisa - Yeah I could probably quote you the degutopia site word for word I read it so much before we got them :)

We have a pear tree in our garden but its not very big and I have already "butchered" it enough (if I cut anymore off it then my other half might start cutting bits off me :) ). They do love it though.

Yeah we have 4 girls, had them for about a month now and they are so funny to watch. I would put some photos here but they never stand still long enough to get a decent one :)

:lol: I know the not keeping still bit!!!!!

Will try to hunt out some piccy's of my boys.

Lisa x

willow is also safe for them much more abundant, quicker growing also
scot :)

Oh come on Barney, you live in the Garden of England and you can't find any blooming fruit trees :p

Seffie x

Hey what about plum branches, are they safe for use? I've got a bunch of gerbils I've always wanted to give branches to ever since they destroyed the one I bought for them but have been sceptical about adding anything from my garden. Though we regularly prune our plum tree back so?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back