Where Can I Buy Cycled Filter Or Media With Bacteria In?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

TrickySpot

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Where in the UK can I buy a cycled filter or media with bacteria?
Ā 
Thanks!

There use to be a media donation list, but I think it is way out of date now. Where in the UK are you, someone might be able to help you out if you are close enough.

You may be able to ask a local fish store if they can donate some media, or you can pay for it.

iv not seen anyone use the media donation list in years, where abouts are you. LFS or local people also keeping fish if you know anyĀ friendsĀ who canĀ donateĀ 

I'm in London (west), but my local shops just stock the basics....I think I'll just buy spare sponges for my 'filter to be' and let them float in my current tank until my new tank and filter arrives

Can you put them in your curent filter somehow (without clogging it)? You're more likely to get bacteria to colonise in a high-flow area (such as your filter) than just floating in the tank.

My local fish store wouldn't give me any media but they took a bunch of their sponges and squeezed them out into a bag of water and told me to first put my sponges into the bag and mix them into the gunk, then to put the pads back into the filter and pour the bag into it.
Ā 
This seems to have helped me a lot, before I was essentially at the start of a cycle, now im getting nitrite and nitrate readings. So I suggest you visit some stores in your area and see if they can do this for you.

Gruntle said:
Can you put them in your curent filter somehow (without clogging it)? You're more likely to get bacteria to colonise in a high-flow area (such as your filter) than just floating in the tank.
Ā 
Yeah, was planning on tying them to the output....I really hate to fiddle with my existing filters, my tank is just so happy right now :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back