When Will This Guppy Give Birth?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

EpicET

Reaction score
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, Southern Hem
Hi Guys

I have 2 females and 1 male guppy, unable to post pictures on here unfortunately but one female has been pregnant since I got her from the LFS. She is not yet squared off nor does she have her birthing tube open yet (or maybe I can't see it), but the store owner insisted that she will probably give birth within the week but 2 weeks have passed. She looks quite fat from the top and from the front, from the side she look pretty fat as well but not quite squared off, more like a 45 degree angle. I am not sure when she will give birth, can anyone help me out?

Thread moved from the species index, which is for informational posts rather than questions. 

Does she look like any of these three? These are my three females. The Red Blonde(pale one) gave birth on the 19th-22nd(long labor) and the one in the middle gave birth on the 13th. This picture was taken on the 12th February 2013. The third one is yet to give birth.
DSCF1063_zps1cd43d9e.jpg

EpicET said:
Hi Paradise <3

Yes my guppy looks like the pale red one, and now I think there is a white spot at her anal fin which I think might be where the fry will come out? If that is the birthing hole then when might they drop?

ET

Mine gave birth about a week after that picture was taken :)

EpicET said:
Okay thanks a lot
smile.png

Do they tend to give birth when there are people around or when it is night time?

I walked upstairs to my bedroom to find she was in the middle of giving birth lol. They tend to wait until you're away but if you're lucky enough to catch them then there you go.

My Platy gave birth over night. I hear a lot that livebearers will often go in to labor in the early morning hours. Not a standard, but people say it's pretty common.

AdamTheZombie said:
My Platy gave birth over night. I hear a lot that livebearers will often go in to labor in the early morning hours. Not a standard, but people say it's pretty common.

Yes they do tend to. Mine was in labor at about 3am. Luckily, I don't sleep till about 6am most of the time anyway.

Most reactions

Back