When Will Neon Swordtails Give Birth?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

yfaris67

Reaction score
Hi,

I have two neon swordtails and they are both pregnant. They have been pregnant for two weeks and I don't have a clue when they will give birth. I want to know when they will give birth so can put them in a breeder trap. I dont see them getting any bigger or any signs of giving birth. Does any one know how long it takes a neon swordtail to give birth?

Thanks for any help
thanks.gif

She looks preggo to me. To see if your livebearers are pregenant pay attention first to their shape, (which you have) next you look at their gravid spot. See that dark spot right behind her white belly? When that is dark... like it is now you know that you will be expecting babies pretty soon. There is no sure way to tell though exactlly when she will birth, so if you have the option of moving her into a tank of her own, this would be ideal. If not just keep an eye on her. You know she is REALLY close when her belly kinda squares off. At this time you may think of putting her in a breeder trap. Be cautious not to move her too early, as to not stress her out.... those traps though helpful sure are small. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW BABIES!!!!

She looks preggo to me.

Huh???? Where's the photo? I don't see no photo?

Anyway, they'll give birth every 4-6 weeks. As FishFan says above, the belly goes square when birthing is imminent. However, given that swordtails are bigger than guppies & platies, be very careful with the breeder trap. The mere fact of her being there could be too stressful, and cause severe complications. It may be as well not to use it, but that is, of course, your choice.

Sorry lockman! My mouse is a bit dodgy today and is making me make mistakes!

You could purchase another tank, set it up, put lots of plants and floating plants in and put your preggo fish in there. That is the best option I would say as it isn't stressfull and she gets the tank to herself to give birth.

Sorry lockman! My mouse is a bit dodgy today and is making me make mistakes!

You could purchase another tank, set it up, put lots of plants and floating plants in and put your preggo fish in there. That is the best option I would say as it isn't stressfull and she gets the tank to herself to give birth.

YFaris, good advice right there, if you can sell the idea to your parents (Fish Fan, the OP is only 13)

Now I know. I have only just looked at his profile.

Thanks for the comment
thanks.gif

thanks guys! i already have a second aquarium but i have a blue daimond gourami in there and im afraid it will eat the babies. my breeder trap isnt that small so ill try it.
rolleyes.gif

um, i saw today the bigger female chasing the smaller one really much like she wanted to get rid of her, is this a sign i should put the bigger female in the trap now?

If you could get a photo, I could tell you if she is ready or not :)

there i added some better ones to the same folder i sent before.

She doesn't look spectacularly far gone to me.

When she's ready, her belly will have "squared-off", so she'll look like she's swallowed a cardboard box.

There's a good thread about mollies pinned at the top of this forum section, there's little difference between them and swordtails.

so how long till i put her in a trap, is there anything particular i should feed her? should i increase feeding?

Most reactions

Back