Whats Your Opinions On This Light?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i came very close to getting one of these my self. i must say that when i was looking at them they filled every box. but i don't know, there is just some thing about the silver sun range that doesn't sit right with me.

sorry :( wish i could help you a bit more

Do you think I need to go to 250w or would I get away with 150w I suppose if I went with the 250w and sat it 10" above the water the tank wouldnt heat up so much.

101x41x50

Is your tank 41 tall or 50 tall?

My tank is 41cm tall and I have the twin 150w (4ft) version of that light and it seems pretty good to me. On the heat issue, mine is now suspended 14" above the water and I still have fans running intermittently (on a thermostat) to keep the temp at 78/79. Evaporation is about 2.5l per day.

Prior to this I had the lights lower and the temp shot up to the mid 80's hence raising it and adding the fans.

On the lights themselves, I would definately say they are 'built to a price' but do the job well enough and look smart enough. One concern I had is that there is no power switch, despite the ebay photos showing one - I emailed the seller about this and his response was "... you have the newer version - people use timers now". The light has three separate power leads (halides/actinic/moonlight leds) - easy enough to add an in-line switch. Comes from Germany so took a couple of weeks to arrive, but well packed. I paid £215 in an auction by the way - don't go for the buy it now option - you'll get them cheaper in the auctions the same seller does (or did?)

Would I buy them again - yes.

I'll have to agree with bobf on this one, with a tank that long you'll need twin halides. Even a 250 way above the tank won't really get to the sides with any significant success.

Most reactions

Back