Whats Wrong With My Plants ?

jason8888

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have added 4 new plants to my established aquarium and they appear to be losing their little barbs that stick out from them. I have had them about 2 weeks so far. My substrate is flourite dark and I add flourish excel every other day. Ive been doing that since the day after I planted the aquarium. I am running 43 watts in a 10 gallon aquarium the lights are 6500k bulbs. I just started dosing the pro pps method about 4 days ago and it hasnt seemed to make much difference yet. I have also ordered a nutrafin co2 all in one system and a drop checker that will be here tuesday. Any ideas why they look like theyre falling apart ? My water parameters are PH 7.6 , 0 amm, 0 nitrites and around 20 ppm nitrates. I do a 20 percent water change 2 times a week because I have 1ppm of ammonia in my tap water and I have a lot of nitrates caused from it. I use prime with all water changes. My fish are 6 red serpae 1 chineese algea eater ( that will be moved after my 50 gallon finishes cycling) and some snails that must of snuck in with the plants.
2553x1w.jpg

http://
t0hwl5.jpg

t0hwl5.jpg

no idea why the pictures are sideways 8(

Clear leaves is usually a lack of carbon or in your case possibly that and too much light (essentially the same thing)
Excel should be added daily.

I'm not sure if the larger plant is varigated or deficient - But you might want to check it against a non aquatic plant list and remove it if it is.

How old are the tubes (Lights)? tubes normally need changing every 6/9 months depending on daily use because the gas deteriorates and you don't get the correct spectrum the plants need. The plant in the top picture (Ambulia/Cabomba) prefer to float as they are prone to rotting if planted in the substrate.

Yeah newly planted plants should be in a more dimmer setting for a few days to give time for the roots to settle and the leaves to adjust to the water quality.

What are your water temps? You also might wanna lower your pH level down to 6.5-7.0 as your current pH level can be shocking to a newly planted plant

In the second side ways pic I think the large plant is plastic? in the first pic do you know what the plant is? it looks like hornwort? if so it should not be planted in the substrate, it needs to be floating, also what are your temps? this plant prefers cooler water to higher tropical temps. 

betta fish said:
this plant prefers cooler water to higher tropical temps.
Agreed. The same goes for cabomba and other feathery-leaved aquatic plants.

SO19Firearms said:
Clear leaves is usually a lack of carbon or in your case possibly that and too much light (essentially the same thing)
Excel should be added daily.

I'm not sure if the larger plant is varigated or deficient - But you might want to check it against a non aquatic plant list and remove it if it is.
the plants are Dwarf Subulata and 2 Green Myrio plants
dave840f1 said:
How old are the tubes (Lights)? tubes normally need changing every 6/9 months depending on daily use because the gas deteriorates and you don't get the correct spectrum the plants need. The plant in the top picture (Ambulia/Cabomba) prefer to float as they are prone to rotting if planted in the substrate.
I have 2 cfl bulbs one is a 32 watt 6500k and the other is a 13 watt 6500 K. both are less than 2 months old
Tongue_Flicker said:
Yeah newly planted plants should be in a more dimmer setting for a few days to give time for the roots to settle and the leaves to adjust to the water quality.

What are your water temps? You also might wanna lower your pH level down to 6.5-7.0 as your current pH level can be shocking to a newly planted plant
I have 2 bulbs one 32 watt and one 13 which would you suggest to leave on ? also with me doing 2 water changes a week im afraid of the PH fluctuating to much and harming the fish any safe way to lower it and keep it steady ? my water temp is 78
betta fish said:
In the second side ways pic I think the large plant is plastic? in the first pic do you know what the plant is? it looks like hornwort? if so it should not be planted in the substrate, it needs to be floating, also what are your temps? this plant prefers cooler water to higher tropical temps. 
yes the large plant is plastic

lol I mistook the tips of the plastic plant for clearing leaves. I'm a nub.
smile.png

SO19Firearms said:
lol I mistook the tips of the plastic plant for clearing leaves. I'm a nub.
smile.png
it does look kinda real lol

Oh i totally forgot about the fishes lol.. the safest would be to keep it at neutral just for a few days while your plants are taking root.

You could leave the 13 watts on for a longer periods then turn on the 32 watt after a week or so

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back