What's wrong with my molly?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oh, my poor fishy! I didn't realize it was that bad!

I haven't added the medicine. I got it mostly as a last resort treatment. Also, the package says to remove the filter carbon, and I'm not really sure how to do that without also removing the rest of the filter media. I didn't know what that would do to my nitrogen cycle, so I didn't want to do it unless everything else fails.

I'm not sure what the GH is of the well water except "very." I can get it tested, but unfortunately it will have to be tomorrow.

I can calculate and add salt here in a little bit (have to get the kids to school). Is the salt going to hurt my tetras?

Thank you for all your help. I'm obviously new at this, and I'm trying to do the best I can, but there's SO MUCH to learn!

The salt level I mentioned previously (1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres) is fine for tetras and mollies. :)

Get the water tested for general hardness (GH) and carbonate hardness (KH) whenever you can. Write the results down at the shop when they do it and post them on here when you get a chance.

You could also test the well water tested for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate. Sometimes there can be contaminants in it that cause issues.

The first few months of fish keeping is the most stressful time and also when you learn the most. It gets easier after this :)

Well that's encouraging, thank you. :)

I tested the well water before I added it, and everything was zero. No contaminants that I could test for.

I'm going to do a partial water change and add the salt. I'll call the let store to see if they will test the GH for me, and get a kit if they won't.

I hope this helps them. Poor things.

Okay, I'm having a very busy day, jeez!

My ammonia was back up to .25 ppm, so I changed out about 60% of the water. I'm going to test it again in about another hour and do another water change if it's still above zero.

The salt worked out to a little over 3 tablespoons. I just put in 3. I mixed it with a gallon of water and added it slowly with the rest of the clean water I put in the tank.

One of the mollies has no spots anymore. The other two are still showing them, but less. I'm maintaining the temperature at 86 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 8 more days. All the fish appear to be tolerating the higher temperature very well.

I still need to find out about water testing, but that's everything so far.

Do I need to replace the salt I remove when I change the water?

Yes you should add more salt when you replace water. However, 2 weeks after the fish is better and no longer has the cream/ white film over its body, you can stop adding salt.

You should also keep the temperature at 30C (86F) for 2 weeks just to make sure all the protozoan parasites are dead :)

Okay, I'll leave it there for two weeks, and maintain the salt level. Ammonia is back down to zero. I'll check again in the morning.

Phew! Fishy drama over here! Thank you again for all your help!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back