What’s this mean

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bking426

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Here are my readings today. Could I finally be cycled? It’s been 3 weeks. I’ve had huge ammonia spikes. Then huge nitrite, and now this.
IMG_0307.jpg
IMG_0306.jpg
IMG_0308.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 weeks seems a bit soon, when did the nitrites go up and what level did they go up to?

I used media from another tank and stability. Wednesday this was my reading
IMG_0161.jpg

Oooh, pretty colour :)

If you used some filter media from an established tank, then this new filter has probably established. Do a big water change with dechlorinated water, wait 24 hours then add some fish. Keep the feeding down for a few days and monitor ammonia and nitrite levels and if there is no reading for a week, you're good to go. :)

------------------------
On a side note, I notice you appear to have a small cut/ scratch on your finger in the last picture. If you have open wounds, cuts, scratches on your skin, try to avoid getting aquarium water on the wound. There are some pretty nasty bacteria living in aquariums and they can enter breaks in the skin and cause localised infections in some people.

You can wear rubber gloves or put a water proof bandage on the wound, or just avoid sticking your hands in the tank when you have cuts or scratches. Wash your hands with warm soapy water after working in the tank.

If you do get any sores that don't heal within a couple of weeks, tell your doctor you keep fish and get them to take a swab of the wound and send it off for culturing before you take any anti-biotics for it. Wait for the results and then use an appropriate medication.

Most people never develop any sores from their fish tanks but it can happen and everyone who keeps fish should be aware of this. :)

Omg!! That’s scary! I’ve been doing a fish in cycle.

I do always wash with antibacterial soap afterwards but I’ll get rubber gloves!

I also redid the nitrate test. It’s a little darker
IMG_0311.jpg

If you have been doing a fish in cycle then don't bother doing a big water change and adding some fish.

If you are only feeding every second day increase it to once a day and see how the ammonia and nitrite levels go. If they remain on 0 for the next week, then add more fish or feed more often. :)

No you don't put fish in if your ammonia is that high. If you put some media in from another filter, you should have added a few fish as the tank will be cycled depending on how much you put in.

The OP's ammonia and nitrite are both on 0 and their nitrate is very low. Their nitrite dropped to 0 after they added some filter material from an established tank. :)

I am looking at the colors and they like like .25 ammonia. OP do you have the white background thing to put the water against?

Today’s. I’m getting frustrated now as ammonia and nitrites are going up again and barely nitrates. I hope I didn’t screw up my cycle somehow.
417449d18bb69a08d9ee73a066e1d931.jpg
IMG_0401.jpg
IMG_0400.jpg
IMG_0399.jpg

With that high of ammonia and nitrites, your tank is still cycling.

Last edited:
What did you do to your tank?
You now have ammonia and nitrite.

Do a big water change.

I didn’t do anything! Gah

Most reactions

trending

Back