Whats the minium size tank for african cichlids?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Red Zebra's reach about 5", but they're generally too aggressive for these little tanks.

I'm finding that the gallon method can be a little confusing as Uk Gal are larger than the USA gals I have a 33UK gal/140ltrs tank 36in long which I am in the process of setting up for Malawi's, I'm going to be stocking the tank with youngsters, all I have in my tank at the moment is a floor to ceiling back wall of Tuffa rock!
My stocking list so far consists of a Yellow Lab :rofl: thats it I really don't know what else to put in it at the moment :dunno:

I think the best thing you can do when attempting something out of the normal is "Forewarned is Forearmed"

Helen

Helen Louise said:
I'm finding that the gallon method can be a little confusing as Uk Gal are larger than the USA gals I have a 33UK gal/140ltrs tank 36in long which I am in the process of setting up for Malawi's, I'm going to be stocking the tank with youngsters, all I have in my tank at the moment is a floor to ceiling back wall of Tuffa rock!
My stocking list so far consists of a Yellow Lab :rofl: thats it I really don't know what else to put in it at the moment :dunno:

I think the best thing you can do when attempting something out of the normal is "Forewarned is Forearmed"

Helen
[snapback]927442[/snapback]​

Helen, I have 6 yellow labs in my tank, and they look stunning in groups. Why dont you add some more? You wont regret it. Below is a picture of my tank for you to see. Mine is about 30 UK gallons.

Picture1208.jpg

Julia

Results will vary alot, especially with a smaller tank like that. 29 gallons isn't too small but I wouldn't suggest it to someone unfamiliar with the fish they are keeping.

That said, I've kept a breeding group of Afra Jalo reef and a young group of White labs in my 29 for quite awhile. The Jalos have been in there for around 2 years, the White labs around 6 months. I've had one beaten up female, but you'll have that with Mbuna. I put her in isolation and she is fine now.

This is my setup. I currently have baby overkill that I will be thinning down males as they get more size. I use a Aquaclear 300 and a ATI Hydrosponge IV powered by a AC401 powerhead for filteration.
100_0519.jpg

Haven't actually added the Yellow Lab yet its just on my list of possibles :rolleyes:
I'm in the process of looking around at all the aquatic shops & seeing what there is about, Essex isn't that wonderful for Cichlid spotting!

Helen

they look stunning in groups
Not only do they look better, but they do better in groups - they are, after all, very social grouping fish.

Wow you all are right uk tanks are bigger I mean that 30g uk looks like a 80g or 90g in the US. :drool:

I don't think it quite that dramatic in terms of size difference! but saying that anyone looking at the site from the uk would look at the advice not to keep cichlids in a 29gall & think that it was uk galls
My tank is just over 31 UK gallons but in USA gallons its just over 36 perfectly possible to set up an African cichlid tank

Helen

The reason my 29 UK gallon tank looks so big, is because all my Malawi's are only about 1 1/2" long at the moment. I can guarantee that once they are bigger, the tank will probably look tiny :crazy:

Julia

this has been asked many f times..... answer is

very very minimal size is a 30G best thing is to eep peacocks in them since they are not terroitoral like mbuna!
haps can be kept in a 55G depending on other species (species only preffered) and the hap type, such as red emppress would be a no no in a 55G, 75G minimal, i keep mine in a 125

Iodotropheus Sprengerae (aka Rusty), 3) avoiding a mix of any species that look similar

3) using a decent amount of rockwork in the tank

4) doing a fishless cycle and adding all the juvenile fish at once

My rusty male turned out to not just holding his own but turned in to the aggressor attacking any mbuna that slightly resembles his features.

29 gal the only african you could keep is the yellow labs.

Iodotropheus Sprengerae (aka Rusty), 3) avoiding a mix of any species that look similar

3) using a decent amount of rockwork in the tank

4) doing a fishless cycle and adding all the juvenile fish at once

My rusty male turned out to not just holding his own but turned in to the aggressor attacking any mbuna that slightly resembles his features.

29 gal the only african you could keep is the yellow labs.

Not strictly true, I've got some multis in a 15 gallon, and some of the smaller Julidochromis species could alos be kept in a tank as small as ten gallons. Shell Dwellers and Julidochromis though I understand are the exception to the rule though.

But yeah, if you want a large shoal of colourful fish you're looking at a decent size tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back