What's Best For Fin Rot?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

laurasbetta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
We've continued to upgrade to a 2.5 gal. Minibow with 25 watt heater and whisper filter. Since moving him to the new tank, Wally's fin rot has come back (just became visible today.) I suspect it is from all the new stuff in his tank (added gravel, new softer fake plants, etc.) He has been really active in the tank and his fins have been growing even larger and prettier than before. We have kept his water treated with BettaFix (1/4 - 1/2 dose) and Betta Spa along with the regular dechlorinator. I didn't think about the carbon in the filter removing the BettaFix from the water and now some fin rot has started to appear as a red streak on his rear fin and a pale spot near that.

The question I have is what works best on fin rot? Every product out there claims to cure fin rot, but which is best and fastest?

Some people say that BettaFix only helps heal the fins and does not cure active fin rot. (I have this)

I've read that Maracyn and Maracyn 2 are only good for weak bacterial infections. (I have these)

Betta Revive is supposed to cure it, too. (I have this)

Then there are the stronger meds like Tetracycline and Sulfa. (I don't have these)

Which is best and least stressful for the little guy?

Sorry to hear Wally's got fin rot. :(
I treated one of my boys with Pimafix and Melafix (half the recommended dose) and it cleared the finrot completely. Treat for 7 days and then do a water change. Hope it helps.

I treated one of my boys with Pimafix and Melafix (half the recommended dose) and it cleared the finrot completely. Treat for 7 days and then do a water change. Hope it helps.

And I should remove the carbon from the filter, right?

B)-->QUOTE(Lynda B @ Jul 11 2007, 03:46 AM) [snapback]1687036[/snapback]
Do you treat him with aquarium salt? That's a great preventative for bettas.[/quote]

The Betta Spa instructions say not to add salt. I think it already contains some, plus we have a water softener which adds a small amount, too.

And I should remove the carbon from the filter, right?
Hi Laura,
The Carbon does need removing just while you use the treatment. Good luck and keep us posted. ;)

We did a 100% water change last night, added the PimaFix and MelaFix at 1/2 dose each. We also replaced the carbon filter with a standard filter pad (no carbon) to keep the current flow down.

Today he is kind of lethargic - stays at the bottom most of the time, ate a little bit, and swims around only a little. The filter current was a bit high so I adjusted it down even more (just a trickle now.)

We'll keep treating with the PimaFix and MelaFix and hope he gets better.

Oh....sorry to hear that....one of our fish died from fin rot but it was too late......good thing you caught it in time!

Sorry to hear about your bettas troubles....
For the move did you catch him using a net?

Sorry to hear about your bettas troubles....
For the move did you catch him using a net?

No, we used a cup and transferred as little of his old water as possible. We tried to keep everything as sanitary as possible,

I was just going to ask this same question, lol.

Except I don't think my guy has fin-rot. I think he just chews his fins, silly guy.

Good luck in treating your boy!

He looks much worse tonight - the infection is spreading in his tail fin. We did another 100% water change and added Maracyn and Maracyn 2 since that seemed to have helped last time. Let's hope this works again! Also lowered his water level so he doesn't have to swim as far up to get air. Removed the filter completely for now so no stress from currents, noise, etc.

Do bettas get sick easier as they age? Wally is 1 1/2 years old since purchase and who knows how old before that - I'd guess about 6 months? Any idea how old bettas are when they come to LPS?

Anyone know which type of bacteria usually causes fin rot?

Wally's still not looking too perky. His tail is still looking pretty bad, but I don't see any increased spreading of the rot since yesterday.

He has gotten off the bottom of the tank and is staying right below the surface (Is this a good sign?)

He's not eating yet so that's a little worrying. I'll add a bit of fresh water tonight along with his next dose of medicine.

Hows the fish Laurasbetta?
Sorry, i lost track of this post....
The bacteria responsible for fin rot are;
aeromonas, pseudomonas and flexibacter....

I'm unsure about the betta hanging at the surface but this is generally a bad sign, does he keep going up for air and/or are his gills working harder than they normally would be?

Personally i wouldn't have removed the filter, even with a labyrinth organ, in poor health, fish will want as much oxygen in the water as possible, they have to work harder to breath (IMHO) due to variety of different factors; stress, the treatment, the weakening effect the illness may be having.
I've heard that placing a breeding trap close to the waters surface may help with bettas in this condition.

Next point; As your tank has been filtered previously the nitrifying bacteria in the rest of the tank, gravel etc. will have had to do little work. Removing the filter IMO may result in a toxic spike. I'd certainly get the filter back in, even if the good bacteria has been allowed to dry out/die off at least it will provide some extra aeriation.

I've never used the treatments you are using, in your situation i'd be using a broad spectrum antibacterial and melafix, both on a half reccomended dose.
His hanging at the surface is unlikely to be a result of fin rot though could be related to the other illnesses associated with the bacteria commonly responsible.

Most reactions

trending

Back